23. A Good End to a Bad Day

'Your Grace.'

'Five days.' Viserys told Otto

'I'm sorry, Your Grace?' Otto questioned

'Though it was some time ago. The details... they fade in memory. My father was a hale and healthy warrior and dragon rider at the peak of his abilities. Jaehaerys named a great royal hunt to celebrate him being named the Hand of the King. Five days later my... my father lay dead. Tourneys last longer. Baelon the Brave, rider of Vhagar, heir to the Iron Throne... dead of a burst belly. The gods have a dark wit.' Viserys reminded him.

'It was a grim day.'

'I recall it all too well. Yeah... It was a good day for you. Jaehaerys named you Hand in Baelon's stead.' Viserys recalled

'That's hardly how I viewed it, Your Grace. It was a duty.' Otto assured. Aislynn remained silent as she peered in, her breath hitched in her throat, what was Viserys doing? What was he planning?

'You served my grand sire nobly in his final days. You are the man that taught me how to be King.'

'Oh, you honor me, Your Grace.' Otto said happily but King Viserys sighed.

'Just five days... you went from being another man in Jaehaerys's court, to the second most powerful man in the realm. I wonder... how long did it take you to choose yourself over your King?'

'Your Grace?'

'I will never recover from Aemma's death. But Alicent... she took me through the worst of my grief. She was a calculated distraction. I only now realize how well-calculated it was.' Viserys told him stiffly.

'That is an absurdity. The Queen loves you... as I know you love her.' Otto remarked and Aislynn held back a scoff, Alicent didnt love the king. The might have loved mounting his child wife but the love was not reciprocated. 

'Your interests no longer align with those of the realm. Your judgment has been compromised.' Viserys said confidently.

"What?" Aislynn rasped. 

'A loyal Hand must tell his king a discomforting truth from time to time, Your Grace. If he doesn't... he's failed as a servant.'

'You were a faithful servant, Otto. The crown and the realm both owe you a debt that can never be repaid. But I can no longer trust your judgment.' Viserys told him. Aislynn faltered back running down to hall to Alicent's room. 

Harwin's gaze followed her as she ran colliding right with Criston as she turned the corner.

"Sorry my lady." Criston declared holding onto her as she got her footing. 

"I ran into you. I'm sorry, I-" Aislynn began before moving past him and continuing on her way. 

"My lady?" Criston countered confused. He peered around to see Harwin. Could Aislynn have been running from her soon to be husband? Criston pondered. 

+

'I hope you can forgive the late hour, Princess. I took great care in its preparation. If not brewed properly, it can either prove ineffective or else bear unpleasant...' the maester said putting a glass down in front of her

'Brewed properly? I'm sorry, what is that?' Rhaenyra said giving it a sniff

'A tea, Princess. From the King. It will rid you of any unwanted consequences.' She put is back down and watched him go. 

+

"I never meant for this to happen." Alicent whimpered 

"What do you mean?" Aislynn countered.

"I spoke...  I spoke to the king." Alicent admitted. 

"And said what?" Aislynn countered. 

"That I believed Rhaenyra." Alicent whispered. 

"ALICENT!" Aislynn shouted. 

"I didnt know he would sack father, you have to believe me, Lynnie! I just..."

"You saw the best in Rhaenyra but there is no best in Rhaenyra. She lied. I know it." Aislynn declared. 

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I didnt mean to... What do we do?" Alicent whimpered as she hugged Aislynn. 

"It's not your fault. I'm just mad." Aislynn whispered rubbing a hand over Alicent's back. 

"I'm sorry Lynnie."

"It's not your fault." Aislynn repeated. 

"What do we do?" 

+

"I want you here, we do the wedding now." Aislynn decided. 

"The king-" Otto countered

''Is off to driftmark tomorrow. " Aislynn agreed. "I want you at my wedding. You did work very hard to set this up." Aislynn added. 

"Of course my love." Otto agreed. "I will speak with Lyonel-"

"I already did." Aislynn corrected. "It's going to be small, just family." Aislynn added. 

It felt strange, to be married. She looked over at her brothers as the septon spoke. Larys leaned heavily on his cane as he looked over at Alicent. 

"You okay?" Harwin whispered, Aislynn looked back to him and smiled widely. 

"Yes." She agreed. 

"Let it be known..."

"I am his- I am hers..."

"From this day until the end of my days." they declared and Aislynn smiled up at Harwin each word she felt a little more peace in knowing that she had a man that she could grow to love, right here, that wanted her too. 

''I am yours and you are mine. Whatever may come.''

Harwin smiled back at Aislynn as she took a step closer, his fingers tangled in her hair, impatient for her as her lips molded with his. Her hands fisted his shirt keeping him on her and when he pulled back she felt the only woman in the world. She wanted him to look at her like this always. 

''Here, in the presence of gods and men, I proclaim Harwin of House Strong and Aislynn of House Hightower , to be man and wife. One flesh... one heart... one soul... now and forever.'' The high septon declared.

"Forever." Harwin whispered kissing her again, her arms wrapped around his neck as her feet lifted off the ground. 

It was a good end to a bad day.