102. I've Seen Worse

"Dad looks good up there." Aislynn remarked as they gathered. "Not as good as you would." Alicent smiled softly back at her. "Or me... Damn I would look good in a crown." 

''Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters.'' Otto remarked sitting proudly on the throne. "The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon." He decreed.

''My Queen. My Lord Hand.'' Vaemond said setting forward. ''The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name." Rhaenys held back the groan as she hated having to defend her claim, her grandchildrens claim against Vaemond. Aislynn loved all of this. This was great, everyone knew it too. Luke had no rightful claim just as Jace had no rightful claim to the throne. Hell, if Aislynn didnt still hold a judge on Rhaena and BAela for attacking Aemond, she might have said give it to them, girl power but no. They were moody little bitches too and time seemed to amplify that, same with Jace and Luke... and Gods the little one. Joffrey.

''I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins." Vaemond went on.

''As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir.'' Rhaenyra spoke up. ''No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition.'' Rhaenyra declared.

"And what of your ambitions Rhaenyra? Your..." Aislynn chuckled unable to keep a straight face. 

''You will have chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard''. Alicent told her kindly but Rhaenyra heard the bitterness breaking through her false smiles. Daemon smiled back at Aislynn as she giggled out leaning into Criston contently. 

''What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess?'' Vaemond countered ''I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours.'' Vaemond turned back to Otto and Alicent. 

"I fucking love today." Aislynn remarked as she ran a hand through Emmetts hair. 

 ''My Queen, my Lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor... the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides.''

''Thank you, Ser Vaemond. Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon.'' Otto informed her and Rhaenyra stepped forward a heavy breath in her lungs.

''If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly 20 years ago, in this very...'' Rhaenyra began but the doors swung open and Viserys came in, cane in hand as he took shaky steps forward. A golden mask covering his lack of eye as he moved closer and closer all could see the age and pain and disease that spread over his body.

"He looks even more like death since yesterday." Aislynn muttered. 

"He does." Jaeton agreed. "When is the old bat going to croak?" 

"You need to do etiquette lessons with them." Alicent teased as viserys was announced and Aislynn laughed out. 

"Etiquette, you hear this girl?" Aislynn questioned criston.