24. Soft Hearts

"It was enjoyable." Aislynn agreed but Alicent wanted more details.

"Come on. Thats all I get?" Alicent countered.

"He is well made." Aislynn added as she did Finns hair. Alicent looked between them. "Large... package." Aislynn added discreetly.

"Did he give you a gift Mum?" Finn questioned.

"Yes. A wedding gift." Aislynn agreed. "Goodness whats going on with your hair today little mister?" Aislynn mused kissing his cheek.

"Aislynn, a moment." Otto begged peering in. 

"Right back." Aislynn whispered kissing the top of Finn's head. 

"He sacked me." Otto whispered. 

"What?" 

"The king. I have been sacked." Otto clarified. 

+

''A moment. I do not wish to see you go.''  Alicent said running up to her father. Aislynn moved sluggish behind her kicking at the stones of the old path.

''Such is the King's decision.''  Otto reminded her solemnly.

''A decision I most bitterly regret.'

''And yet, you made it possible. You chose Rhaenyra.'' Otto reminded her. 

''She swore her innocence, and I believed her.'' Alicent retorted

''You wanted to believe her, as did her father'.

''Your informant was wrong. An honest mistake, perhaps, but I did not foresee this!'' Alicent countered.

''You should have.'' Otto warned as his gaze shifted to Aislynn. 

'If you had not been so relentless in advancing Aegon as heir!' Thunder rumbled as the rain poured down around them.

'Listen to me, daughter. The King will die. It may be months or years, but he'll not live to be an old man. And if Rhaenyra succeeds him, war will follow, do you understand? The realm will not accept her. And to secure her claim, she'll have to put your children to the sword. She'll have no choice.'' Otto warned her and Alicent started to whimper 'You know it. You're no fool, and yet you choose not to see it. The time is coming, Alicent. Either you prepare Aegon to rule, or you cleave to Rhaenyra and pray for her mercy.'' Otto hugged her goodbye before he turned to Aislynn

"You have to be strong protect them. Alicent has a soft heart." Otto whispered.   

"If by soft mean easily manipulated by you and the princess then yes she does have a soft heart." Aislynn agreed.

"You see the truth you and your brothers have always seen the darker side of things please I know you will protect her I know I don't need to ask you but I can't be here to look out for you for any of you." Otto whispered.

"Don't worry I will take great care of them no one will mess with my family."

"I love you Aislynn."

"I love you father."

"You know your mother always said your name meant hearts desire but I thought it meant dream or vision. I now think it is one and the same." Otto remarked. Aislynn stared back at him as he pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I wish your mother could see you now. She would be so proud at the woman you are."

+

'' Where is Lord Corlys? He should be here to receive the King.'' Lyonel demanded.

''Welcome to High Tide, Your Grace.'' Laena remarked as she came down the steps to greet them.

''What is the meaning of this, Lady Laena?"" Lyonel shouted through the rain but Viserys was too tired and too weak to deal with such nonsense today.  ''Is this how House Velaryon greets its King?''

''My father has but just returned from his long journey and he has hastened to the Hall of Nine to await Your Grace's arrival.''

''Let's just get on with it.'' Viserys said marching past.

+

''An outsider... among the natives.'' Larys strong said as Alicent approached him in the gardens. 

''Lord Larys.'' Alicent remarked.

"Brother." Aislynn agreed. "You do any bonding with the bros?" 

"No." Larys remarked. "I wasnt extended an invitation."

"I will let them know." Aislynn offered and Larys offered her a small smile. Larys held out a flower and Aislynn took a step forward. "Pretty." She remarked taking it carefully from him. 

''Malvales. A rare bloom. Indigenous to Braavos. By all rights, it shouldn't be thriving here. Nature... such mystery.'' Larys remarked he gripped to his cane as he looked over at them.

''The weather has been lovely.'' Alicent remarked softly.

"Love the storms, best time to curl up in bed and fuck my new husband." Aislynn agreed. 

"I'm quite glad mine is far away then." Alicent whispered leaning into Aislynn. 

''And yet it is a dark day for the realm. Your father was a good man.'' Larys remarked getting their attention. 

''As is yours who took his place.'' Alicent informed him.

"Is he?" Aislynn countered. "I dont know the father in law too well. I like my daddio better... most of the time... some of the time." Larys chuckled meeting her gaze. 

''Yet still, the manner of your father's departure... it feels something of an injustice.'' Larys remarked and Alicent stiffened as the thunder raged on around them.

'What do you know of the matter of his leaving?" Alicent questioned stepping forward.

''When one is never invited to speak, one learns instead to, um... observe." Larys remarked. 

"And what do you observe?" Aislynn countered. 

"Many things." Larys remarked vaguely. "Like... You're perhaps in need of an ally?' Larys suggested cautiously.

''I'm the Queen. I have no shortage of allies.''

"And we have brothers that love to handle those that dont follow the rules... our rules." Aislynn remarked. 

''Naturally. Princess Rhaenyra, for example.'' Larys agreed sarcastically.

"Who needs her? She's all high and mighty fire breathing bitch recently." Aislynn declared. 

''State your purpose, my lord.'' Alicent demanded.

''Uh... I did wonder if she could be relied upon now that she is... unwell.'' Larys offered and AIslynn looked to Alicent. She didnt keep track of Rhaenyra. 

''Unwell? I haven't heard anything.'' Alicent countered

''Begging your pardon, Your Grace, I may be mistaken. It's just that on the very same night your father was dismissed, the Grand Maester delivered a tea to the Princess's chambers.'' Larys informed her.

''A tea?''

'Yes.'' Larys agreed

''That the Grand Maester himself brought?'' Alicent questioned confused.

''At the direction of the King, as I understand it. I do hope she's not unwell.'' Larys said kindly.

''Rhaenyra sailed with the King to Driftmark yesterday at daybreak.'' Alicent remarked more confidently than she felt. 

''Oh, what good news. I must've been in error. Oh, a relief.'' Larys told her taking unsteady steps towards her.  ''See, I thought for Mellos himself, well... her condition must be something very serious. What happiness it is to have been wrong.''

"Little slut."