14. Eat my Desires in Chocolate

"We got you a tray because I'm ready to eat my desires in chocolate." Aislynn declared as she sat down beside Aegon on the floor. He opened his mouth wanting a cookie. 

"Lynnie was talking to the knights outside." Finn remarked. 

"I bet she was." Alicent agreed. "The boys give them hell?" She pondered. 

"Hell no they introduced me." Aislynn corrected. 

"Which handsome man has caught our Lynnies eye?" ALicent pondered. 

"Tall, dark and handsome obviously." Aislynn answered. 

+

' Your Grace.' Howland sharp remarked, noting the tracks.

''How far?' Viserys questioned.

'Her droppings were found half a league to the east.' He smelled the air. 'Still fresh. Between two and three hours, Your Grace. My best scouts spied him.'

'The beast is upward of 35 stone. And we now have his trail.'

'Aye. Before the dragons ruled over Westeros, the white hart was a symbol of royalty in these lands. And on this day of all days. I've never been one for signs and portents, Your Grace, but if the gods did wish to show their favor.' His advisor suggested.

+

'Your Grace... I had this forged in the Golden Gallery in honor of Prince Aegon.' Jason said coming up to Viserys

'It's quite a thing.' Viserys said as Jason handed off the spear.

'I hope it might provide the killing stroke against your white hart. The King of the Kings wood. It's as if the Seven themselves have blessed this day.'

'Thank you... for your generosity.' Viserys told him stiffly but Jason was not done.

'I would be honored to take the Princess Rhaenyra to wife, Your Grace. What I offer you, The crown and your daughter, is strength.' Jason told him.

'Do you think that House Targaryen wants for strength?'

'If someone offered you more dragons, would you not take them?'

'Do you have dragons to offer?' Viserys countered

'Casterly Rock is a splendid seat. Rhaenyra may take her place there by my side without shame, and feel herself well-compensated for her loss in station.' Jason offered

'What loss of station?' Viserys sneered liking the lannisters less and less

'If you were to name young Aegon heir, Your Grace'. Jason remarked.

'And when would I be doing that?' Viserys questioned incredulously.

'I had assumed... as he's your firstborn son... Many of us had assumed...' Jason said awkwardly.

'Many of us, you say? Have your bannermen questioned my choice of heir?'

'Of course not, Your Grace.'

'It is your sworn duty to report rebellion stirring in my kingdom.'

'Rebellion? There's been nothing of the sort, Your Grace. I, I...' Jason stuttered nervously.

'I did not decide to name Rhaenyra my heir on a whim. All the lords of the kingdom would do well to remember that. Thank you... for the gift.' Viserys said stiffly.

'Your Grace.' Jason said nervously stepping back.

"Look at the cowardly lion run with his tail between his legs." AIslynn giggled looking to Jason. 

"You are wonderfully unique." Harwin remarked touching Aislynn's cheek, brushing her hair behind her ear. 

"You like my blunt tongue?" Aislynn mused and his tongue peaked out between his lips as he took a step closer. 

'Wine.' Viserys requested forcing a smile at Alicent.

'The huntsman has the trail, Your Grace, and has sent out the hounds. It won't be long now until the white hart is cornered. My boys headed out, they are quite skilled. Your prize is within reach.' Otto said coming to sit down at Viserys side. 'What do you make of Lord Jason's proposal?'

'That man's pride has pride.'

'You're not only Rhaenyra's father, you're the King. She'll do as you command.' Otto reminded him.

"As Aislynn did as you commanded?" Viserys countered and Ottos gaze shifted to a giddy AIslynn leaning into Harwin. He watched her smile as Harwin's hand trailed her waist. He hadnt seen her to content before. 

"Aislynn is different than the princess." Otto offered. "She needs to find her own way..."

'and it is not my wish to command her, Otto.' Viserys told him 'I want her to be happy. Just as you did with your daughters.' Otto sighed biting back a response, Alicent wasnt happy, he saw it in her fake smiles. 

'There is another choice beyond Casterly Rock. One, perhaps, you might be more comfortable with. One... closer to home.' Otto suggested slowly.

'Who do you have in mind?'

'Prince Aegon.' Viserys looked to his son just turned two Aegon was babbling.

'The boy just turned two, Otto.' Viserys reminded him

'Yes, but it would cease the endless proposals for Rhaenyra's hand.' Otto told him hoping that his grandson would be king one day and Viserys started to laugh. 'Betroth them.'

'I came here to hunt... not to be suffocated by all this fսcking politicking.' Viserys spat

'Let us speak no more of it.' Otto agreed leaving his side.

'We've sent out riders to find Rhaenyra, Your Grace.' Lyonel assured as the night grew dark and there was no sign of the princess. 'Ser Criston went after her, so the hope is that they are together.'

'The girl is a heedless contrarian. If I instead forbade her to wed a Lannister, she would've run off with Lord Jason out of spite.' Viserys remarked. 'A truly great Targaryen King I am. Powerless over mine own daughter of seven-and-ten.'

'King Jaehaerys ruled over half a century of peace while his children drove him to the edge of madness... his daughters, in particular.' Lyonel recalled 'It is tradition, Your Grace.' Viserys took another sip of wine he surely didn't need it but he drank it down anyways. 'Do you wish to hear my opinion on the matter?' Viserys let out a long sigh

'Should I guess? You believe that your son, Ser Harwin "Break bones," the strongest knight in the Seven Kingdoms, is the best match for Rhaenyra.' Viserys hissed

'You flatter me, Your Grace, but no.' Lyonel told him 'It would seem to me the best match for Rhaenyra is the son of The Sea Snake, Ser Laenor.' He offered 'Some years ago, I counseled you to take his sister to wife. My reasoning remains the same. Laenor is of pure Valyrian descent. He shares blood with your cousin, the Princess Rhaenys. And he is the heir to the wealthiest house in the realm. The breach between your houses has not narrowed since I last spoke of it. It would do much to assuage Lord Corlys of any slights real... or imagined.' Viserys pondered the idea. 'We must pray, of course, that Laenor survives the fighting in the Stepstones.' Viserys got up drunkenly and left the celebration.

"Lord Strong." Otto declared moving towards him. 

"Lord hand." Lyonel greeted. 

"I have a proposal for you." Otto remarked as his gaze shifted to Aislynn. "You son Ser Harwin... he is a fine man, a good knight and solider."

"Thank you my lord." 

"My daughter Aislynn is a sweet girl." Otto remarked. "She is in need of a husband and I think they would get along great." Lyonel glanced back at Aislynn as she doted over Aegon. "Unite our families. What do you say?"