103. What of My Apology

Viserys was carried in on his throne delivered to the table, his family rose out of respect as he was sat down again before them at the head of the table.

''How good it is... to see you all tonight... together.'' Viserys said looking around at his family. 

"It's usually good to see me." Cammie remarked trying to do a hair flip. 

"Damn right." Aislynn agreed leaning over and pressing a kiss to the top of her head. 

''Prayer before we begin?'' Alicent offered.

"Goodie, goodie." Aislynn whispered. "I mean, such a good queen!" she declared dramatically. 

''Yes.'' Viserys agreed as they held hands

''May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest." Alicent said clearly before looking up at Daemon.

"Vaemond, he was a good man, lets hope he's in heaven and not in hell." Jaeton offered and Aislynn tapped a hand to her heart pointing up to the ceiling and then locked eyes with Rhaenyra as she pointed down, to the floor, to  hell...

''This is an occasion for celebration, it seems. My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes... and their betrothed". Viserys declared

''Hear, hear!''

"Gross, gross." Clayton corrected. 

''Well done, Jace. You'll finally get to lie with a woman.'' Aegon sniggered. Aislynn glanced down at Aegon with a smirk. 

''Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys... the future Lord of the Tides.''

''Hear, hear.''

"Bloodline bast-ohh, this is good fish. Cod?" Jaeton offered and Rhaenyra grit her teeth. 

''You'll be great. You do know how the act is done, I assume? At least in principle? Where to put your cock and all that.'' Aegon went on.

''Let it be, cousin.'' Rhaena hissed. 

''You can play the jester if you wish, but hold your tongue before my betrothed.'' Jace told him stiffly.

''Mm-hm.'' Aegon mused taking another drink.

"Heavens Ali, your glass is empty already, lets fill it to the top... Daemon? A drink?" AIslynn pondered he held out his glass to her. She leaned over pouring it for him and Rhaenyra's scowl deepened. "Rhaenyra, you dont want your face to get stuck like that. I would tell you that you want to prevent worry lines but its much too late for that." Aislynn declared. Rhaenyra's grip on her glass was harsh and it chipped a shard slicing her hand. 

"Yikes..." Cammie whispered. "Why are you so mad?" 

"Her father fixed her problems again, I dont see why she would be mad." Aislynn agreed. 

"Dont break cups." Cammie told Rhaenyra seriously as she picked at the veggies on her plate. 

''It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world... yet grown so distant from each other..."Viserys told them solemnly. "in the years past." Viserys removed his mask with a thud it landed on the table. ''My own face... is no longer a handsome one... if indeed it ever was. But tonight... I wish you to see me... as I am. Not just a king... but your father. Your brother. Your husband... and your grand sire.'' Viserys said kindly. 

"Yikes." Cammie whispered covering her face with her hands. "Icky, make it stop." Aislynn ran a hand over her back as Cristons hand ran along Aislynn's thigh. 

''Who may not, it seems... walk for much longer among you.'' Viserys gasped for breath as his chest felt heavy. ''Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The crown cannot stand strong if the House of the Dragon remains divided. But set aside your grievances. If not for the sake of the crown... then for the sake of this old man who loves you all so dearly." Viserys requested. Alicent helped him fix his mask back to his face.

"Ill feelings, who does this man think he is?" Jaeton pondered. 

"Has he not been listening the past... how old are they again?" Clayton pondered. Criston choked out a laugh. 

''I wish to raise my cup to Her Grace, the Queen. I love my father. But I must admit that no one has stood... more loyally by his side than his good wife." Rhaenyra remarked, she could be civil for her fathers sake. ''She has tended to him with... unfailing devotion, love, and honor. And for that, she has my gratitude... and my apology.''

"Apology?" Aislynn bit back. 

''Your graciousness moves me deeply, Princess.'' Alicent rose her glass as well.

"What the fuck is she doing?" Aislynn rasped. 

 ''We are both mothers... and we love our children. We have more in common than we sometimes allow. I raise my cup to you... and to your house. You will make a fine queen.'' Aegon cleared throat a mischievous look on his face.

"What of my apology? What of that?" Aislynn hissed. "I mean it worked out, you are a better man." AIslynn assured as she kissed Criston. "But an apology would be nice, even if I know it is insincere."

"I love you and I'm glad for every moment that brought us together but wish I could have saved you the heartache." Criston rasped kissing her again. She smiled bringing a hand to his cheek suddenly very content. 

''I, um... I regret the disappointment you are soon to suffer. But if you ever wish to know what it is to be well satisfied, all you have to do is ask." Aegon remarked smugly.

''Jace.'' Baela warned.

''To Prince Aegon and... Prince Aemond. We have not seen each other in years, but I have fond memories of our shared youth. And as men, I hope we may yet be friends and allies. To you and your family's good health, dear uncles. To you as well.'' Jace offered stiffly.

''Beware the beast beneath the boards.'' Helaena warned and Emmett nodded as though he understood her little riddles. Cammie cocked her head confused though. 

"I dont understand either." Daeron assured Cammie. 

''Well done, my boy.'' Viserys said nodding to him

''I would like to toast to Baela and Rhaena. They'll be married soon. It isn't so bad. If you are lucky he will find a whore and ignore you." Aislynn offered. "If you are lucky you get a real winner... maybe for the next union after their untimely deaths you find a good man, a true winner." Aislynn declared. 

"Wonderful Mum." Clayton declared and Emmett clapped along. 

''Good. Let us have some music.'' Viserys requested. Music began and Emmett got up moving around the table, Helaena smiled down at him as he extended his hand. Helaena laughed out as little Emmett and her danced and spun around happily. 

'' Excuse me.'' Viserys said as he started to cough and choke out for breath.

''Guards." Alicent called out as Viserys groaned

'' Please, sit down.'' He said thickly as he was carried away.

"Now the real fun begins." Aislynn warned.