27. The Unknown

''You have carried King Jaehaerys's legacy. And kept the realm strong.'' Lyonel corrected but his answer didn't satisfy Viserys. ''Is it not better to live in peace than to have songs sung after you are dead?''

'Perhaps. But there is a part of me wishes I'd been tested. I often think that in the crucible, I may have been forged a different man.''

'' Many that are tested, only wish to have been spared it. ''

''Another lord might assure me that I would rise like Aegon the Conqueror given the chance.'' Viserys remarked bitterly.

''Your Grace, that is... You're right. You're right... as always." Lyonel told him.

''It is perhaps best not to know.'' Viserys countered drinking the potion. 

+

"Lady Aislynn?" She turned her head a small smile on her face as she saw Criston. "Lady Aislynn is there something I can do for you?" 

"Just stargazing... cloud gazing." Aislynn corrected. "I find when my mind is clouded its best to stare at the clouds, the real ones but I have a predicament." Aislynn admitted. 

"There are no clouds." Criston remarked as he looked up. 

"My predicament." Aislynn agreed. 

"I wouldnt have anything to do with your clouded mind." Criston pondered. 

"Sit and I might tell you." Aislynn offered and Criston smiled down at her. "Then I guess you will never know." 

"I'm on watch," Criston offered. 

"Or else you would?" Aislynn pondered. Criston knew the honest answer and knew the right answer considering she was married and the size of harwin strong. "Quiet one you are Criston. Makes me wonder what kind of lover you are." Criston snorted a laugh.

"About eariler-"

"If Alicent doesnt care then I dont." Aislynn assured. "But I would rather not talk of Rhaenyra." Criston nodded. 

"You like the stars... the clouds."

"My mother was a gypsy." Aislynn informed him. "She was beautiful, father says I look like her but I never see it. She was always this, this light." Aislynn offered as she stared up her finger tracing along the constellations. "She had an odd way about her but she was wonderful. My brothers and I loved her, Ali too, she was perfection... she doted on us calling her sun, moon and stars."

"Yet you want clouds." Criston offered. 

"I said what about the clouds mama?" Aislynn recalled. "Are they not special? and you know what she said?" Criston shook his head taking a step closer. "The clouds help clear our minds of problems, they pull back the pain or confusion, they take it away, which is why they give us shadows." Criston smiled softly as Aislynn explained. 

"Shadows so we dont..." Criston offered waiting for her to fill in the blanks. 

"So we dont have to carry our worries. They are still there, the confusion the worry the pain but most things that cloud our minds are things we cannot change." Aislynn informed him and she was right. ''So the clouds take it from your mind and place it behind you so you can forget about it."

"She sounds wise." 

"It was a bunch of gypsy shit." Aislynn corrected. "But I loved it."

"What's clouding your mind my lady?" 

"The Unknown." 

"There is a lot of unknown." Criston remarked. 

"My unknown." Aislynn altered. 

"There is a lot of unknown there too." Criston repeated. 

"I want to be a good mother, a good wife, a good sister in whats to come but I fear that I wont be." Aislynn remarked. 

"You already are a great sister, I'm sure Ser Harwin adores his wife and I know Finn thinks you are the best mum." Criston assured her. "So dont fear the unknown, thats what makes life worth living, the adventure of whats to come." 

"Mum would have liked you." 

+

Harwin rolled over in bed at the door closing behind Aislynn. 

"I thought you had knight's night watch." Aislynn remarked as he looked her over. "Are you alright?" 

"Where were you? I was worried about you." Harwin countered. 

"I was stargazing." Aislynn informed him. 

"With Cole?" Aislynn blinked back at him. 

"I was stargazing and he walked by, yes. We spoke briefly." Aislynn agreed. "If you already knew where I was, why ask?" 

"To see if you lied." Harwin admitted. 

"And if I did?" Aislynn countered. 

"Then I would have to remind you who your husband is." Harwin remarked pulling her closer.  

"Oh, are you jealous? Is that what this is?" Aislynn teased as he kissed her neck. "I like jealous Harwin, its sexy."