Chapter 54

Kasabay ng malalakas na kulog at kidlat ay ang lalong lumakas na buhos ng ulan. Kaya si Jane, minabuti na lamang na magpalipas ng gabi sa bahay ni Marsha. Tumawag siya kay Eric at ikinuwento ang mga nangyari. Hindi naman nagdalawang salita si Jane kay Eric at agad naman nitong naintindihan ang sitwasyon. Nabalitaan naman ni Yasmin ang nangyari sa kanyang Auntie kaya minabuti nitong umuwi kaagad.

"We never really get the chance to formally introduce ourselves, I am Yasmin, her niece." nakangiting bati ni Yasmin, sabay abot ng kanang kamay niya kay Jane.

"Hi Yasmin."

"I'm glad to finally meet you. Auntie Marsh told me so many great things about you."

Hindi sumagot si Jane at ngumiti lamang ito. Ibinaba ni Yasmin ang kanyang bag at umupo sa sofa, "Buti na lang at hindi ka na umuwi. Ang lakas ng ulan at medyo baha na ang dadaanan ninyo pabalik. Coffee?"

"No, I'm good. Thank you."

"Can I call you, Tita Jane? I hope you don't mind," tanong ni Yasmin.

"No, not at all. You can call me Tita, I'd love that. Uhmm-Yasmin, hindi na ba nagpapagamot si Marsha ngayon? I just learned her condition and I'm just worried."

"Actually, she stopped all her treatments when she came back here. Ang tigas kasi ng ulo ni Auntie. She doesn't want to go back to Australia, nandoon kasi 'yong Oncologist niya. Aside from that, ayaw din naman niyang magpatingin dito. She still takes all her meds and vitamins but knowing Cancer, it wouldn't make her any better. And lately nga, dumadalas na naman ang bleeding niya. She was supposed to have a Hysterectomy before she went here. Kaya Auntie Marsh really needs to go back to Australia soon. Sana Tita Jane, ma-convince mo siyang umuwi na muna sa Australia. Otherwise, it might be too late."

Tumango si Jane, "Yes, I will talk to her as soon as she feels better."

"Thank you. You know, I never understood why she wanted it so bad na makauwi dito sa Pilipinas, until she told me everything. And to be honest, at first I got so overwhelmed. I knew Auntie as a mahinhin, super tahimik...very prim and proper. And I was really close to her kahit na noong bata pa ako. And I knew she never got married because she got broken hearted daw from his ex-Well, that was my Mom's kwento. Then I realized, I never asked who that ex was. And I never really understood kung bakit siya laging malungkot, kung bakit siya nag-iisa. Until she told me your story. And from then I've realized how she sacrificed her own happiness just for her family.-You know, my Aunt loved you so much and I know she will love you until her last breath. Alam kong may pamilya na kayo, but all I'm asking you is to give my Auntie some of your time-just until the day she leaves for Australia. Tita Jane, please? I'm begging you...Kahit konting oras lang-and I'm sure it will be enough to have good and lasting memories that she can take with her when she leaves."

"Yasmin, hindi mo na kailangang makiusap o magmakaawa. You know I will do anything for her. I will spend time with her as much as we can," sagot ni Jane.

"Thank you." Tumahimik na ang gabi, tumila na din ang ulan. Tanging mga patak na lamang ng tubig mula sa bubong at ang mahinang alingawngaw ng mga kuliglig ang maririnig ng mga oras na iyon. "You know, before I wondered how she survived this long, knowing that Cancer is inevitable, tapos she stopped all her treatments pa nga. Pero ngayon naintindihan ko na. Yes, her life was miserable when you two broke up. But all these years, she was living and holding on to the memories-those happy memories she had with you. It's more than enough to get her by for another day...for another week...for another year. And she never stopped hoping-hoping that one day she will be able to see you once again. My Aunt never stopped loving you, Tita Jane."