25

Chapter 25 Tofu

After the parents left, Liang Xianyue sucked her frozen red nose and felt a little cold. In fact, the weather is pretty good today, with almost no wind and the sun is not bad. But even so, the temperature was hovering at minus thirty-five degrees, and some stall owners in the yard were inexperienced, and they were too cold to go back before all the things they brought were replaced. Those smart people were already prepared. Not only did they wear fur hats that could cover their ears and thick cotton coats that reached their ankles, but they also made homemade fur leggings and wrapped them around their calves and shoes. Some raised a brazier, attracting a crowd of people to warm their hands and feet.

Liang Xianyue couldn't squeeze into the crowd warming the fire, so she walked towards the house. Compared with the yard, the house is much smaller. The houses in the countryside are big, but one house can only accommodate five or six stalls. There is a path that can be walked in the middle.

As soon as he entered the door, Liang Xianyue asked the stall owner next to him: "Where is there a tofu maker?"

The stall owner was accustomed to this question, and pointed: "In the room over there."

Liang Xianyue thanked him Later, when I found the room he was talking about, I saw a man sitting in the corner, with a cardboard sign in front of him that said [Grandma Liu Tofu].

Liang Xianyue remembered that there used to be a mother-in-law in the village who made tofu very well, and her surname seemed to be Liu. There are not many people who can make tofu now. If she guessed correctly, this man should be Grandma Liu's son?

She went to the stall and saw a steelyard in front of the man, and beside it was a sack of soybeans, half of which was already in it.

A man came by and handed in three catties of soybeans, and watched the man clumsily write down his name and the four and a half catties of tofu that could be exchanged for it, and asked him to pick it up at his home the morning after tomorrow. His fingers were as thick as small radishes, covered with calluses, and he looked like someone who often did manual labor.

The man also said guiltily: "Everyone trusts our family so much that they are willing to send the soybeans before seeing the shadow of the tofu. We originally planned to send the tofu home, but now too many people buy tofu. There are too many, and I really can't deliver them. When the time comes, everyone will come to my house to get tofu, and we will send some dried tofu and soy milk as compensation."

The person who came to exchange soybeans for tofu also expressed his understanding: "We don't buy much. It's two or three catties for the whole family. It's not worth sending back and forth." He was a little worried again. "The weather is so cold. During the time we returned from your home to our own, did the tofu become...frozen tofu?" The

stall owner next to him had heard such questions for countless times today, and answered for the man: " If you don't buy much tofu, just put it in your pocket and take it home! Anyway, it's for your family to eat, and you don't mind crushing the tofu. If you buy a lot, make an insulated bucket at home. Put a small piece of cotton on the outside of the big bucket For the quilt, pour hot water into it, fill a small bucket, put the tofu in the small bucket, cover it with a quilt, and you must not freeze it when you walk home." Some people also booed: "Frozen tofu is also good

. If you can't finish eating, you have to freeze it

anyway!" The man smiled honestly, afraid that people would take it seriously, and he didn't forget to add: "If we accidentally make too much tofu at home, we have to make it into frozen tofu. It's cheaper to buy frozen tofu than fresh tofu, and it's better to buy as much fresh tofu as you can eat."