70

Chapter 70 Planting Vegetables

This is the seventh month since Wang Xiulian's family moved to the Ancheng Grain Base. As one of the worst-hit households in Liangjia Village during the earthquake, they were lucky enough to get a spot in the grain base.

There are five people in her family. When they came here, they were arranged into a two-bedroom apartment, which is said to be a two-bedroom apartment. In fact, the area of ​​each room is not large. The total area is only more than 40 square meters, because there is no room in the house. In the kitchen, it saves some space.

The population of the entire dormitory building is too dense, and the fire protection is actually unqualified, so in the grain base, you cannot cook by yourself, and everyone has to eat in the canteen of the base.

After Wang Xiulian's family came, her son was assigned to the field for autumn harvest. After the autumn harvest, he was left behind to build greenhouses and grow food, but he always had work. However, working alone does not earn enough work points for the whole family to eat. Odd jobs are often posted in the base, and the daughter-in-law and the old couple take turns to go to the hall where odd jobs are distributed every day to grab work. There are some jobs that don't last long, such as cement, cleaning up construction waste, and moving materials. If they can get jobs, their life pressure will not be so great.

If you can't receive odd jobs every day, you can only eat a few times in the canteen, and eat some food you bring from the village every day. The things they brought were not small, a sack of potatoes, several large pumpkins weighing more than ten catties, and half a bag of rice.

I can't cook by myself, but I can ask the cafeteria to help me with a small amount of work points. However, there is no way to make it so delicate, it is usually steamed. I heard from educated people in the base that they use the steam drawn from the hot water room of the base to cook to save energy, so the most common way to cook food is to steam it.

When her son's centimeters were not enough for the whole family to eat, Wang Xiulian sent the family's food to the cafeteria, steamed potatoes, steamed pumpkin, steamed rice, and the third child was tired of eating.

The food sold in the cafeteria is not so delicious. In order not to waste food, the coarsely ground corn cakes, potato cakes made in various ways, and multigrain steamed buns mixed with very little flour, these occupy a large part of the staple food in the cafeteria. part. There are not many kinds of vegetables. I heard that they are all high-yield crops grown at the vegetable base. Loofah, eggplant, cabbage, radish, and not enough oil and water. Wang Xiulian's family came to the grain base, and the food was not as good as when they were at home.

But she was still happy. When she came here, she didn't have to worry about not having enough firewood to burn, and she didn't have to climb the mountain for several hours to cut trees, and then dragged them back. They also used electric lights. Although the lights were turned off at eight o'clock in the evening, it was not like in the countryside when it was dark and they had to lie on the kang, and they had to stare when they couldn't sleep. Especially when they caught up with sandstorms when they came, masks and goggles were distributed at the base, and lung-clearing soup was boiled for them, which made Wang Xiulian feel that it was really good to be in charge of someone.

But winter went to spring, and before everything germinated and the flowers bloomed, there were terrible clouds in the sky, followed by even more terrifying acid rain. Although the base broadcasts repeatedly, this is just a natural phenomenon. The base is going to distribute raincoats and masks to everyone. I hope everyone will not panic and work together to survive the disaster. But Wang Xiulian couldn't help worrying, wouldn't this have any impact on their finally settled life?