55

Chapter 55 The Stove

Early in the morning, Ji Mingcen came back from the outside. He put a large bowl of batter-like stuff on the table in his hand, and greeted Yang Shulan, "Mom, it's time for breakfast."

Yang Shulan stood by the window. The voice that greeted her, still smelling the smell of batter, turned around. Behind them is a blackboard with colored chalks on it.

This is a classroom.

After the troops and medical staff who came to support left one after another, these people who were homeless because of the collapsed houses took advantage of the opportunity to live in the classrooms of the No. 6 Junior High School. The buildings here are still in good condition and did not collapse in the earthquake. .

Although the army has left some tents for them, it is noisy outside and rats and mosquitoes often get into the tents, and the number of tents is not enough for a family to live alone, and several families are crowded together, so there is no privacy at all. . Since one person moved into the classroom of junior high school, everyone has learned to live in it.

There are no tables and chairs in the classroom, but there are many traces of sawdust on the ground. This is not because the surrounding residents smashed the wooden tables and chairs and took them home to make a fire to keep warm last winter. The podium table is a heavy iron table, and now it is the dining table for Ji Mingcen's mother and son.

The stove he assembled with waste parts was completely broken. Without a stove, he couldn't make a fire for cooking. Ji Mingcen also tried to make a simple grill, and put a refractory pot on it for cooking. The things he made were either mushy or Undercooked, sometimes the two situations will appear together, the bottom of the pot is completely mushy, and the food on it is still raw.

The taste of his cooking was mediocre, and the kitchen utensils were poor, so Yang Shulan wanted to hide when he saw Ji Mingcen coming over with a bowl.

He had no choice but to ask an aunt who had a pot in the next classroom to help with the cooking. Including firewood, labor, and the cost of borrowing kitchen utensils, the aunt would charge twice as much for the ingredients as remuneration.

Fortunately, Ji Mingcen still had some food in his hands, and some supplies were distributed during the few days he lived in the tent. This morning, my aunt made a bowl of soup with the canned tomatoes he sent over. I stirred some gnocchi with flour and added them to the soup. The resulting tomato pimple soup was very thick. It looked like a bowl of batter at first glance, but it tasted very good. Xiang, no wonder even Yang Shulan took the initiative to come over.

Ji Mingcen served Yang Shulan a bowl. There were only tomatoes and flour in the soup, and the color was a little dull. In fact, some vegetables could be added. Ji Mingcen planted some vegetables outside his original residence, and when he left in a hurry, he only picked a bag of spinach, which he distributed to the people who shared the same tent with his mother and son that night, and now there are no more.

After breakfast, he wanted to go back to Linshan Village to pick more vegetables he had grown.

"Mom, I'm going out later. You can walk around the nearby playground, but don't leave the school gate, okay?"

Yang Shulan ate with her head down and ignored him. Ji Mingcen said it again, and she responded, "Playground, flowers!"

Ji Mingcen seemed to understand what Yang Shulan was talking about. There are many people living here. Quite a few things. But there are also people like Ji Mingcen who can be called impoverished, but who will not starve to death for the time being.