48

Chapter 48 The Rain

After more than a week of hard work by the villagers, the scale of the corn armyworm has finally been brought under control. On the one hand, the villagers have reduced the number of adults and eggs through various control methods. On the other hand, it is also because the corn is almost eaten. The corn armyworm is also called the armyworm. The crops on a piece of land are eaten to death Almost, it will migrate to other places.

Some villagers directly replanted other crops in the fields, such as pumpkin and wax gourd seeds distributed by the staff of the agricultural station for free, and many people simply pulled out the corn that could not survive and planted potatoes and sweet potatoes instead. The high temperature has been going on since March this year, and it's only the beginning of May. If winter doesn't come too early, there's still time to plant a crop of potatoes.

Because of the hot weather, Liang Xianyue spent more and more time in the space, and by the way did all the work accumulated before.

The lotus seeds exchanged at the Ancheng morning market, Liang Xianyue first cut the lotus seeds according to the planting requirements. The shell on the outside of the lotus seeds is very hard, and the buds are not easy to come out. Grind it back and forth until a small hole is broken before putting it away.

Then there is a long process of soaking and sprouting. It takes a week to soak the seeds, and after germination, it will take another week to grow before transplanting. Up to now, the lotus seeds are still kept at home and have not been removed from the fish pond.

However, the fish pond has already been prepared. On the side close to the small courtyard, Liang Xianyue poured back a lot of soil from the original fish pond. The water depth in which lotus can grow is about 80-110cm, but it was newly cultivated with lotus seeds. The tender seedlings can only grow in shallow water.

In addition to cultivating lotus seeds, Liang Xianyue and her parents also dealt with hundreds of catties of sweet potatoes piled up in the storage room.

Some of these sweet potato seedlings came from Liang Kangshi's random purchases in the roadside fields. These sweet potato varieties are relatively common, but the yield is a little higher. About three-thirds of the sweet potatoes were planted, and 600 catties were harvested.

The other part is to go to the fourth grandpa's house to ask for seed potatoes. This sweet potato is dense and sweet, but the yield is not high. There are not many seed potatoes at the fourth grandpa's house. Liang Kangshi went to ask for it and brought it back to plant. Which one is this kind of high-quality sweet potato? In the end, only a few dozen of this kind of sweet potato were collected.

The sweet potatoes with high yield are used to make sweet potato starch and sweet potato vermicelli. This job requires grinding sweet potatoes into slag. There is a cooking machine at home, but it is too slow. Hundreds of catties of sweet potatoes have to be smashed into pieces. So the three of them used a combination of machinery and manual work. While grinding with a cooking machine, use manual grinding, and whoever is tired of grinding will go to the cooking machine to be responsible for adding ingredients.

In the end, 500 catties of sweet potatoes were used to make 70 catties of sweet potato starch, and the remaining sweet potatoes were reserved for seed and daily consumption, and then ten catties of starch were taken out to make vermicelli and dried. After sweet potatoes are treated in this way, they can be stored for several years.

As for the sweet potatoes with better quality, most of them are going to be kept as seeds, and six or seven of them are taken out, cut into slices, steamed, dried in the sun, and sealed into bags as dried sweet potatoes. Liang Xianyue roasted some of them because of her greed, and after peeling off the skin, the inside was golden, sweet and oily.