Chapter: Two

Knock, knock

"..."

Jane knocked on the bedroom door several times, but there was no noise from inside.

'Is Madame sleeping?'

It had been a while since she started working, so she might be tired. Looking back, when Chloe came out of the study, she looked particularly tired. Jane's honest feelings were that she didn't want to wake up the Madame, who had collapsed from exhaustion.

But it was time for Master to come home. Chloe had to prepare to go out to greet him.

If it had been a usual day, she would have already finished preparing and gone to the door to welcome him. So Jane was surprised that she didn't do anything today.

Seeing off and welcoming him every day for eight years was an important part of her day, so Jane's worries became bigger.

"...Excuse me."

Squeak.

Hesitating, Jane opened the bedroom door slightly. The curtains were tightly closed, and the bedroom was filled with only darkness. Jane swallowed hard in the difficult atmosphere.

She approached cautiously, sensing Chloe's presence in the bed. Chloe, with a blanket over her head, looked unfamiliar. Jane spoke in the most gentle voice she could.

"Madame, Master will be coming home soon."

"...Wo..."

It seemed like Chloe was muttering something, but Jane couldn't hear it properly.

"Yes?"

Jane moved a little closer and asked again.

"...I won't do it today."

Certainly, Madame was behaving strangely. Not only did she refuse to greet her husband, but her voice sounded unusual. She looked so happy until lunch though...

"Are you feeling sick, Madame?"

"No, it's just that I'm... tired."

"Oh, then what would you like to do for dinner?"

"I have no appetite."

"But you have to eat something..."

"Jane, I'm sorry, but could you leave?"

"Ah... yes, yes! Sleep well, Madame."

Her hoarse voice and sensitive tone were clearly different from usual. If Chloe were always volatile, it would have been insignificant, but the Marquess of Blanchett was never this stubborn.

It was clear that something had happened to Madame. However, there was not much Jane could do in this situation. All she could do was to pray that her Madame was fine.

***

"Welcome home, Master."

Gerard sensed something strange as he took off his Knight's uniform.

Why wasn't his wife here?

Gerard quickly scanned the people who came to greet him. His wife's maid was there, but his wife was not.

"What about Madame and Abel?"

"The Young Master was tired after class and is sleeping. It seems that Madame was also tired after organizing the study today."

The old butler politely answered.

"Well."

It was not uncommon for Abel to take a nap. But it was the first time his wife hadn't greeted him. It was very tiring to organize a study. She didn't have to overdo it.