Chapter Seventy Two: The Past Or The Future (1)

"How can you ask for that out of everything... Chloe."

Gerard said and dropped his gaze. In the meantime, raindrops fell on his eyelashes and dripped down all the way down to his jawline. At first glance, it looked like tears.

Gerard knew Chloe wanted to have a deep talk with him. Actually, he wanted to do it as well. However, it wasn't easy.

"I..."

Nonetheless, he slowly opened his mouth. Although he couldn't talk about everything, he wanted to try one by one, because it was what his wife wanted.

However, his instinctive sense of rejection prevented him from speaking.

The man she loved was a mere illusion, so he wasn't really loved by anyone. He wasn't good enough to stay by her side.

The words were on the tip of his tongue and he seemed to have a hard time spitting them out.

Would it have been different if he liked the woman before him a little less? Gerard felt his mouth become as heavy as the feelings he had for Chloe.

The story that he could have told to the 'young Lady of Roem' nine years ago couldn't be easily revealed to the current 'Chloe Blanchett'.

He was afraid. It felt as if he was going to lose Chloe whether he spoke up or not.

"Whoa..."

Gerard took a deep breath to convince himself to talk.

However, the words that slipped out of his mouth were completely different from what he meant to say.

"There's some things you don't talk to me about, my Lady."

"Me?"

"The reason you don't paint anymore, and why you've grown closer with a guild owner from the Eastern Empire. And other things like that."

"About that..."

Chloe's eyes noticeably grew a bit bigger. She didn't realize her husband actually paid attention to such things.

"I'm not blaming you for not talking to me about those things. It's just... There are things that require me some time to tell you."

Chloe seemed to know what Gerard was talking about.

She also didn't talk much about her painting hobby with her husband. She didn't want to tell the person whom she wanted to appear at her best at all times about her ugly past.

However, Chloe ironically wanted to share such a past with Gerard. She thought that since they were a married couple, he was the one person she could share things with that she couldn't reveal to anyone else.

"I would've told you if you had asked."

Chloe just hadn't told him about that. She wasn't trying to hide it in the first place.

"The reason I don't paint is because... I don't enjoy painting anymore. I feel like every time I do it, I'm confirming my lack of talent."

Gerard's eyes widened at Chloe's calm voice. He didn't mean to reopen his wife's wounds.

"And the guild owner from the Eastern Empire... I'll tell you when we arrive home."

She was originally going to discuss Catherine with her husband.

"So, you have to talk now. Don't come up with other excuses."

Chloe stated and flipped her damp bangs out of her face. She cornered him so he had no way to escape. She wasn't going to let it slide this time.