Chapter Sixty Nine: The Similarity Of Love And Endeavor (1)

"But why do you keep speaking in honorifics to me?"

"That's what I'm supposed to do. This is how the relationship between a Marquis and a Grand Duchess is supposed to be."

Gerard replied in a firm tone.

"What? No, how can you say our relationship is merely a Grand Duchess and a Marquis?"

Leila argued in bewilderment. Then, she came to a conclusion.

"By any chance... Did Chloe make you do that?"

"It's my will, no one told me to speak like this."

Gerard cut off Leila coldly.

"Then, why are you doing this all of a sudden?"

"..."

"Tell me the truth. You've heard about the letter, too."

Gerard sighed. Leila figured that he heard about the letter. Her childhood friend had a habit of sighing whenever he was troubled or didn't want to talk about something.

"Then if it's not like that, you have to tell her so that I can clear up the misunderstanding with Chloe! We didn't write to each other with that kind of feeling."

Gerard was exhausted from working overtime, but the throbbing in his head got worse when Leila spoke. He raised one of his hands and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"Gerard, didn't you also want to help me patch things up with Chloe and that's why you let me stay? If you just tell her that I didn't mean that-"

"Grand Duchess of Anata."

Leila became even more emotional and Gerard cut her off. He used an honorific, but not respectfully.

"Don't call my name recklessly. From now on, you should address me as the Marquis of Blanchett."

"What?"

Leila asked Gerard, dumbfounded.

"And the reason I allowed the Grand Duchess to stay in the mansion was not because of any personal feelings."

"...?"

Gerard noticed tears welling up in Leila's eyes. Unfortunately, the tears didn't evoke much emotion from him.

"It's only because I remembered that you welcomed my wife at the Anata estate when she suddenly decided to visit the North."

"..."

"Therefore, there will be no next time. Blanchett has no debt to repay to Anata anymore."