Chapter Seventy: The Similarity Of Love And Endeavor (2)

Soon after Chloe and Leila withdrew from the Empress' tent, rain began to fall. Autumn rains fell on the hunting grounds, the Imperial Palace, and the Capital.
The hunting contest was called off because of safety concerns for the participants. The cold rain wouldn't just make them more likely to catch a cold, but it also made the ground slippery and the probability of falling was higher.

"Let's stop the hunting contest for this year. Everyone has worked hard, even during such bad weather."
The Emperor, who returned from the forest, spoke solemnly. When he finished speaking, a trumpet sounded two times.
The hunting contest had quickly come to an end. The ceremony where participants offered prey to their respective ladies and the awarding of the winner had to be cancelled.
Disappointment was evident on the young men and women's faces, they must have been looking forward to the hunting festival. However, those who lingered had no choice but to scatter to get away from the rain.
Chloe and Leila followed the others and got into a carriage which would bring them to the Imperial Palace.

On the other hand, Gerard and the Imperial Knights still remained on the hunting ground.

"How many people are still in the forest?"

"Two people, young Master Burtman and Sir Russell."

"Two? Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Then, we should split into two teams and look for them. Simon, you check Areas 1 and 2, and Anton, check on Areas 3 and 4."
"Understood, sir."

"Understood!"
The Imperial Knights headed back to the forest after being divided. Gerard returned to the Emperor's side after giving orders. His mind was preoccupied by the thought of escorting the Emperor and the Empress to the Imperial Palace before he had to return to the hunting ground again.

***

Their clothes were wet and cold because of the rain and felt heavy. They couldn't wait to get changed. Chloe and Leila trotted to the private lounge granted by the Imperial Family for the Blanchett Family.

Maids quickly changed their clothes, dried their hair and reapplied makeup. After finishing the process, they returned to the lounge and took a short rest.

Chloe was sitting on the sofa, looking out the window without saying anything. When she was outside, she panicked because of the heavy rain, but it looked quite picturesque from the inside.

The pouring rain was cold as if it was about to wash everything away. She hoped that the rain would wash away her complicated thoughts, along with this situation.

"Leila."

Chloe, who had been looking out the window for a while, called Leila, who was sitting across from her.

"Huh?"

Leila replied after Chloe brought her back from her thoughts.

"You should return to the lounge provided for the Anata Family."

Chloe continued in a low voice.

"The Grand Duke will arrive by the time the banquet begins, so you'd better go."

"Oh... Do I have to go there? Can't I stay here until Derick arrives?"

"No."

Chloe turned her eyes away from her friend's desperate gaze. She put on the act that she had been internally practicing since earlier.

"And I've been thinking that we need to keep our distance."

"I can't believe you think that we have to keep our distance... What do you mean by that?"