Chapter Thirty 7: The Despairing Side Of The Fight Between Married Couple (10)

Gerard acted as a kind friend by Leila's side. He believed that an opportunity would come again someday if he waited like this. However, Frederick was always Leila's first...

When Frederick misunderstood Leila and distanced himself from her, it was none other than Gerard who stood by Leila's side. He comforted her wholeheartedly. However, Leila left him as soon as she got back with Frederick.

When Leila had consumed the poison that was targeted at Frederick, Gerard searched for an antidote. After days without sleep, he was able to obtain one.

However, Leila wasn't interested in his hard effort. Her attention was solely directed towards Frederick, who stood by her side the whole time she was bedridden.

Gerard was growing exhausted. His person didn't love him. No matter how hard he tried, it was all in vain. At first, the fact that it was unfair and the rage bubbling within him nearly killed him.

However, he gave up not long after that. The indivisible heat was gnawing his insides, leaving him with terrible emptiness in the end. He wished for this to stop. He wanted to be filled.

He wished to be loved.

***

It was the day of Owen de Hernia's ascension. Gerard frowned, which was unlike his personality, and kept wary of the surroundings. In recent days, a suspicious note had been received stating that there would be a rebel attack on the day of ascension.

However, the enthronement ceremony was nearing its end, completely overshadowing the tension in the air.

'As expected, it was a false tip.'

At the exact moment Owen received the Emperor's crown and Gerard wrote off the warning as false...

"Stop the filthy half-blood from wearing the Emperor's crown!"

A group of rebels broke in. The banquet hall quickly turned into a disaster.

"Anton, capture all the rebels alive! Especially those upstairs!"

"Yes, sir!"

Only the Imperial Knights fought without panic. They were fully prepared just in case this happened.

"Eric, escort the nobles! Women and elderly first!"

"Understood!"

Gerard gave orders to the leading knight members of the Order, and they spread out in unison with their subordinates.

"Simon, come with me!"

"Yes!"

Gerard escorted the ex-Emperor and his wife along with the newly crowned Emperor. He struck down flying arrows and protected them from the rebels who tried to attack them. They succeeded in escorting the Imperial Family to the secret passage in the banquet hall.

"Kya!"

One of the rebels broke into where the nobles were gathered and threatened them with a silver dagger.

'Goddamn it Eric, that b*stard! Of course that's what they were going to do if we gathered the women and elderly together!'

However, it was impossible for him to run there to protect them. That was because the Grand Master of the Order of Imperial Knight's first priority was to keep the Emperor safe before anyone else. Gerard turned away coldly. He tried to follow Owen into the secret passage.

"Kya, young Lady Stein!"

However, the shout of a name that followed soon forced Gerard to halt. When he turned his head hurriedly, he saw Leila get caught by the rebels. The rebel's blade was close to Leila's pure white neck.