Chapter Forty Nine: Our Prologue (10)

Chloe was confused about how she should feel seeing Leila so in love. Should she be relieved that Gerard Blanchett's love wouldn't be returned? Or should she be heartbroken knowing that he would get hurt?

"Of course, I recovered quickly thanks to the herbs you sent to me, Chloe."

Chloe exclaimed impulsively.

"I didn't send them."

"Huh?"

"They were sent by Sir Blanchett."

"Gerard?"

Leila opened her eyes wide at the unexpected remark.

"Yes, Sir Blanchett asked me to send them for him because you would feel burdened if he gave them directly to you."

"I see..."

Leila's face seemed to darken. She could no longer accept Gerard's favors as a mere favor.

Chloe felt a lump in her throat seeing Leila's expression. Why did she receive favor from Archduke Anata with an open heart while feeling burdensome when it came from Sir Blanchett?

Chloe actually knew. She was not supposed to be angry about this. However, for some reason, Chloe felt her heart aching as if she was being rejected.

She wanted to tell Leila how precious the herb was and how Gerard struggled to obtain it.

"..."

However, Chloe couldn't be swept away by emotion. She thought it would be presumptuous of her to intervene between them. This was their problem. Leila, Gerard and Frederick's. Chloe had absolutely no reason to come between them.

Her unrequited love couldn't be used as justification.

"Please deliver my gratitude... to Gerard."

"Huh? Why don't you tell him yourself?"

"I think Sir Blanchett will be more content that way."

That was all she could say in defense of Gerard Blanchett. She didn't dare to recite or defend, and didn't even mention Gerard Blanchett's love for her.

Those feelings were quiet and secretive, getting deeper each passing day.

***

Then, on that night.

"Haa, haa..."

Chloe woke up out of surprise over her terrible dream. It was a nightmare that others would brush off, but the dreams she had...

They were different. It couldn't be dismissed as a mere nightmare because it was what would happen in the future.

The book in her dream was very arbitrary. On the day she read the book in her dream for the first time, Chloe read it from start to finish.

She wondered who the main character was in this world. What kind of happy ending would the main character have? She also discovered she was merely a supporting character in this story.

However, she couldn't remember the exact contents of the book after she woke up. The only thing she remembered vividly was how she felt while reading the book. The more she tried to recall it, the more distorted it became in her twisted mind.

However, she didn't need to try to remember the contents of the book. Since then, Chloe had started to read the book in her dreams every night. She was able to read parts again, and after doing so, she didn't forget the contents even after she woke up.

"Sir Blanchett..."

And the event she saw in the book today was the day of Owen's coronation as Emperor. There was a rebel attack during the coronation ceremony.