Chapter Forty one: Our Prologue (2)

After the performance, the three headed to the alley of food vendors to fill their rumbling stomachs. From stir-frying vegetables to meat broth, the street was full of all kinds of delicious smells.

Among the various types of foods sold there, Leila bought bread fried in oil without hesitation.

"Here! Chloe, you have to try this. It's so delicious!"

Leila said while pushing the bread towards Chloe's mouth.

"No, Leila. Wait...!"

However, Chloe hesitated because she had never encountered street food before.

"Try it! Gerard also hesitated to eat it when he was a child, but after tasting it once, he begged to come here and eat it every day!"

Gerard and Chloe's eyes met as he bit into the bread earnestly.

"...Umfh!"

She naturally started imagining him begging to eat this when he was young. Chloe started laughing. But because her mouth was wide open, Leila shoved the bread into her mouth.

"What are you laughing about, young Lady Roem?"

He asked with a distasteful look. Gerard was embarrassed when Chloe held back her laughter, her shoulders shaking up and down.

"No, it's... Haha!"

It was at that moment when Leila put the whole bread into Chloe's mouth, which had been opened because she was laughing.

"Umfh! Leila!"

Chloe was embarrassed by the food that was suddenly shoved into her mouth. However, the more she chewed, the more her expression changed.

The savory fried bread and sweet sauce on the surface integrated to create a fantastic taste. It was such a waste that the bread in her mouth had to be swallowed.

"Wow... What's this? It's really good!"

Chloe chewed the bread carefully and asked with a bright expression.

"Right? It's good, right? This isn't the only thing that the feisty young master begged for!"

"...Leila."

Gerard called Leila in a low voice when she made fun of him. Chloe laughed.

It was fun. She wanted this moment to last forever.

***

After that, they continued to enjoy the National Day Festival. They played quoits, bought flowers from a child, and watched a singing competition. At some point, however, the crowd began to move in one direction as if they all agreed beforehand. The fireworks show, which was said to be the best part of the National Day Festival, was scheduled to begin soon.

"Follow me! I know a good place to watch the fireworks!"

Leila led Chloe and Gerard.

They traveled through winding alleyways and climbed a low hill. However, Chloe was grinning despite the heavy panting coming out of her mouth. The unique experience was so much fun.

"Are we here?"

"Here... Can we go up here?"

The place Leila brought them to was a roof located beside a low hill. It was a unique building in which the hill and roof were connected because of the lay of the land.

"It's fine, it's fine! It's an empty house anyway."

Leila jumped lightly onto the roof. Then she beckoned the other two to jump as well.