Chapter Eighty Five: Something He Should Express More.. (3)

The bed had become a place of communication for the Blanchett couple. There was rarely silence between the two as they exchanged stories.

Gerard, who was staring at the ceiling absentmindedly, spoke up. He had something to say but seemed hesitant.

"Chloe, in the past... I can't deny that I courted the Archduchess of Anata."

Leila de Anata. He needed to get rid of her shadow over their marriage.

"However, I never thought of you as a substitute for Leila."

"How can I believe that?"

Chloe asked with a pout. She was expressing her feelings openly following her husband's confession before she realized it.

"I don't know why everyone thinks that way, but you and the Archduchess are completely different both in appearance and personality."

And how he felt towards both of them.

Gerard was always nervous whenever Chloe touched him. And yet his body heated up, craving more. It was the same as when they met for the first time.

He also wanted to be a man Chloe could depend on. Therefore, he always acted as the perfect and carefree version of himself after they got married.

It was a feeling he never felt around Leila.

That's how he figured it out. He loved Leila as family and the only friend he'd ever had, but he didn't think of her as a lover.

"Actually, I was wary of you at first. I thought you would take away the only friend I had."

"...I'm sure His Majesty must be quite upset to hear that."

Chloe retorted bluntly.

"Haha, I wasn't fond of Owen back then. When his father suggested that I should be close to the prince everyday, I quite resented him."

Gerard said while rubbing his nose against Chloe's. His wife's jealousy was so cute that he acted that way without realizing it.

"Anyway, I came to realize how bright you were after spending some time together."

"..."

"I realized that I thought about you every chance I got, so I tried to keep my distance."

Gerard laughed at himself thinking back on those days.

"However, I ended up falling in love with the face that came running to me while I was crying, so I failed."

"I came running while you were crying? When did I..."

Chloe, who was puzzled, tried to recall it. One scene immediately came to her mind.

"Don't tell me... when you were stabbed?"

"Yes, that moment."

Her stomach dropped at the sight of her smiling husband. What? He fell in love with her back then?

"How could you say that? Whenever I think about that moment..."

Chloe pushed her husband's chest away as he hugged her tightly.

"I don't want to see that scar."

"Do you not like it, my Lady?"

Gerard asked while pointing at his waist.