Chapter Sixty Eight: The Uninvited Guest Who Ruined The Peace (4)

A painful prick in her stomach struck Catherine all of a sudden. She curled into the fetal position at the familiar pain. She felt nauseous and found it hard to breathe properly.

"Ugh..."

The pain that began nine years ago still hadn't let her go.

–When did you start to vomit blood?

-I started experiencing it recently. Is this condition severe?

Catherine had visited a doctor secretly in the past.

-I couldn't figure it out before you started vomiting, but since it has started now... this is an incurable disease in Hernia.

-I-Incurable?

-Yes... I think you have to prepare yourself.

She had to ball up her trembling fingertips after hearing the appalling diagnosis. She was prepared to some extent from the moment she realized that she had vomited blood, but it wasn't that easy to accept reality.

-If it can't be cured in Hernia, do you think that I can cure it somewhere else?

Catherine asked the doctor as if holding on to a last hope.

-I've heard that there are medicines and medical practices that can cure it in the East. However... nothing has been confirmed.

-I assume you mean the Ryeo Empire in the Eastern Continent.

-It's not entirely clear where.

-Oh...

The doctor, who was competent, was realistic and precise. However, the problem was that his knowledge and experience did little for Catherine.

-I apologize.

-...No, it's fine.

Catherine replied while pulling the brim of her hat down over her eyes. The doctor didn't try to pry into her business despite her suspicious behavior. The former Imperial family's doctor was wise to pretend that he didn't notice anything.

In the end, all she got was the cold reality that she was about to die and a painkiller worked well for her.

"Haa."

Catherine heaved a deep sigh when the rush of emotions washed over her. She felt so hopeless that she would die at such a young age, and became gloomy about her future that vanished in a blink of an eye.

She also felt resentful. There were still a lot of things she wanted to do. She wanted to have a family of her own, get married, and make a masterpiece that would last forever...