Chapter Eighty One : The Past Or The Future (10)

["D*mn it...]

Upon entering the cold and empty house, Gerard uttered harshly.

'They ran away again.'

By the time he was contacted by Raymond and crossed the city from where the Salon was held, Chloe Roem had escaped again.

"There is someone by her side who appears to be a knight, and I think he noticed they were being followed."

'A man, presumably a knight?'

Gerard frowned. He felt like someone was scratching his insides with sharp metal. Right, just because he had been looking for Chloe Roem, it didn't guarantee that she would be alone all this time. He never even thought about it. He didn't expect her to have someone else.

"I told you to find out where they were, but I don't think I allowed you to leak our position."

"I'm sorry."

Gerard glared sourly at the back of Raymond's head.

"Find them by all means."

***

Etra was in a state of flux for a while afterward. Knights scoured everywhere, looking for a woman.

"You may come out now, Claudia."

When Theodore said so, Chloe came out from her hiding spot in the secret closet of the studio. Abel was in her arms, soaked in sweat.

A few hours ago, a sudden search forced Chloe to run away. She explained to her son that they were playing hide-and-seek before going into the closet together.

It was so exhausting to appease Abel, who was whining the whole time. The search came to an end only after the child fell asleep from exhaustion.

"...I'm sorry, Abel."

Chloe's voice was weak due to exhaustion. She ran her fingers through Abel's sweaty hair.

Theodore looked at them with pity. He knew they had a story of their own, but he didn't know she was actually the missing Marchioness of Blanchett.

'That must be why her choice of words and demeanor was that of a great noblewoman.'

Theodore handed Chloe a glass of cool water.

"Drink, Claudia."

"Thank you."

Chloe thanked Theodore and accepted the glass.

"As soon as I find a boat heading East, I'll leave at once."

Theodore responded without hesitation.

"Yes... I think you should."

Herace was looking for a ship for Chloe and Abel at that time. He was looking for the earliest ship that would set off to the East.

The day when they'd be saying goodbye was not far off.

Theodore wrinkled his nose. He wondered when he could see them again if they left like this. For such an old man like him, he didn't have much time left to expect a reunion.

As Chloe laid Abel down on the couch, Theodore made up his mind and strode away for a moment.

He held a box of gold coins in his arms when he came back.

"Claudia, this is not a lot for my sincerest gift to you."

"No, my Lord. You don't have to do this."