Chapter Ten: Between Friendship And Love (6)

After a good day's rest, Chloe and Leila's condition improved considerably. The two families gathered in the Archduchy's courtyard along with their excited children. A carriage and knights were on standby.

It was finally the day they were going on a picnic to the frozen lake.

"Wow Chloe, we must be getting old! I didn't experience a hangover the day after I drank in the past. But now, I have to lie down for a whole day."

Leila, dressed in comfortable attire for skating, chatted with Chloe.

"...I know, right."

Chloe replied while hoping her expression wouldn't look strange. Whenever she faced Leila, she felt bitterness build up within her. It wasn't easy to smile on the outside.

"If you know that, you should pay more attention to yourself now."

Frederick, who was listening to their conversation from behind, spoke. Chloe felt as if she was being scolded.

"Daddy, daddy! Will you join us on today's outing?"

Noah, who was in Frederick's arms, asked his father. His eyes were full of hope.

"Noah, I'm sorry but I think it's going to be hard for me to go today."

Frederick comforted Noah in a soft tone. Rennesia, who was listening to their conversation, seemed quite upset and fiddled with Frederick's pants.

"I want to go with you, Father."

"My dear princess, I will definitely go next time."

"Promise?"

"Yes, I promise."

"To me, too!"

"Yes, to you too, Noah."

Frederick kissed their foreheads as if stamping a contract.

"Herace."

After spending time with his children, Frederick called Herace, who was waiting off to the side. His voice was full of dignity as if he hadn't just comforted his children in a soft tone.

"Protect them with your life."

Upon being given an order from his Lord, Herace bowed.

"Yes, My Lord. I will give this body to protect them."

Chloe, who was holding Abel's hand, was stunned to learn that Herace would join them as their escort.

'Is he going to send his knight's Commander as an escort for our outing? Why?'

Actually, the Knight Commander of Blanchett would also accompany her on this outing, but they were considered different to Chloe. She already felt uncomfortable at the thought of seeing his face for the whole day.

"My knights are going as escorts, so you don't have to go... or do you feel as though you must go as well?"

Frederick asked Aiden, though he quite disagreed with the idea.

"It is natural to follow wherever the Lady and young master go because our Lord has ordered us to protect them with our lives."

Aiden gave a faithful answer in a low voice.

"Tsk."

Frederick clicked his tongue and expressed his displeasure, but there was no reason not to allow it. What could he say to object if a knight wanted to protect their master? It was just unappealing to him.

It had been a long time since Blanchett's outstanding knights had offended him.

"Anata knights swear to sacrifice their bodies to protect their masters, and Blanchett's knights do the same. Do not forget your oath."