Chapter Fifty four: The Beginning Of Their Feelings (5)

It was officially concluded that Catherine Roem had been attacked by an unidentified man and was missing. It was to keep the honor of the Roem family.

However, those who knew better speculated that the eldest daughter of the Roem family had disappeared on her own. There were a lot of people sent to find Catherine that day. Apart from the servants, it was virtually impossible to control the mouth of the security forces.

The world rejoiced at the downfall of the genius painter. Naturally, Catherine was the center of numerous scandals. Among them, the most popular was about how she ran away because she wanted to be with someone of lower status.

The problem was that even the Roem family didn't know the reason Catherine disappeared.

"Why is Catherine... gone?"

As soon as Chloe brought it up, the atmosphere at the dinner table dropped a surprising degree.

"If we knew why, we wouldn't be this frustrated."

Clink.

Count Roem put down his tableware loudly. It was a wordless act that indicated he was uncomfortable with Chloe's question.

"From this moment onwards...... I don't want to hear anything regarding Catherine."

Thus Catherine's name became a taboo word in Roem. The eldest daughter, who was once their pride, became a disgrace to be hidden in an instant.

***

Gerard looked through the people who gathered to see him off. He still didn't see Chloe Roem among them.

The Roem family recently stopped all social activities and had gone into seclusion. However, he was disappointed that he had to leave without seeing her face.

Leila, who also came to see him off, put a handkerchief in his hand.

"Take care, Gerard."

"...Thank you."

Gerard looked at the handkerchief in his hand. He received the handkerchief he'd wished to receive, but he was not satisfied for some reason. What he'd received from Leila wasn't something that touched him. He was astonished.

"However..."

Gerard spoke to Frederick, who stood behind Leila with a disapproving look on his face.

"Archduke Anata, you're here too, huh?"

Everywhere he saw the man, he had an expression that looked like he was forced to follow Leila. Gerard deliberately smiled brightly.

"...I hope you have a safe trip."

Frederick said, lifting one of his eyebrows. He was feeling quite ironic at the moment. He was quite upset by the fact that it was Leila who handed a handkerchief to the young Marquis of Blanchett.

However, he felt generous after realizing that he wouldn't have to see that nasty face for a while. It was just a handkerchief.

'I'm going to be busy. I need to get engaged while the young Marquis is away.'

He couldn't miss this opportunity. He was going to secure his relationship with Leila while Gerard was away.

"Since everyone is seeing me off, I'll have to come back safely."

Gerard replied, looking amongst the people who came to see him off. Then Aiden, who was accompanying Gerard to the border, walked up to him.

"I think we should get going now."