Chapter Seventy seven: The Past Or The Future (6)

[Chloe sat in the drawing room and waited for Theodore. She put the present she was going to give him on the table.

'He ran out of blue paint the other day... I hope this is enough?'

Chloe was very excited about what Theodore would paint this time.

"Since you use a lot of blue paint, I guess you'll draw the sea again this time.'

She suddenly recalled when she met him for the first time. She also recalled the painting she saw that day, which she realized was also the sea.

***

A year ago, Chloe was invited to the Salon.

However, she only scanned through the paintings obligatorily. She was looking at the paintings, but there was no room for them in her mind.

'I'm going to have to call Catherine.'

According to her original plan, Chloe had to go to the East where Catherine was. Therefore, she was planning to contact her sister around the time she got entrusted to the guild.

However, she was terrified when seeing the sea in front of her.

The vast sea with no end in sight. Life as a stranger in a foreign country was beyond that. It was bound to be rough.

Fear and doubt prevented her from moving forward or backing down. It had already been four years since she came to the east and only stared at the horizon.

Even though the blue ocean was something that she wanted to cross, she couldn't find the courage to do it. The more she drank, her thirst kept increasing, and just looking at the sea made her feel hollow.

"The ocean..."

At that moment, there was one painting that caught Chloe's attention.

The painting of a landscape along the east coast divided into several different times of the day. Although the place was the same, the atmosphere in each time of day, which was dawn, noon, twilight, and evening was completely different.

Among them, the part Chloe looked at the longest was the burning sun peeking over the horizon. The ocean had yellow, orange, and pink hues.

It was beautiful.

'Oh, it's a painting by Amone.'

The artist's name wasn't blatantly written on the painting, but Chloe was able to recognize it with one look. She had heard that Amone enjoyed traveling from place to place, and he must have stopped by the East during his journey.

'The sea is... so beautiful.'

She didn't expect the sea to look so beautiful because her sight was tinged with fear.

She stared blankly at the picture. She felt like time was passing so slowly.

As she saw the color become warmer, she felt her eyes sting and she wrinkled her nose. Looking at the sky painted with the sunset colors reminded her of someone whom she had forgotten.

–Will you be my partner, young Lady Roem?

Chloe stood still in her spot at the colors that gave her a sense of nostalgia.

She wondered how long she had been standing there like that. Chloe looked around awkwardly. The Salon was empty before she knew it, likely because she had been staying there longer than she thought.

An old gentleman standing beside Chloe spoke to her.

"I guess you like this painting."

"Oh..."