Chapter Forty Seven: Our Prologue (8)

On that day, however, Chloe personally experienced how hopeless her unrequited love was.

All eyes were on Chloe as she entered the banquet hall escorted by Gerard. Everyone wondered why it was Chloe Roem, not Leila Stein, who stood beside Gerard Blanchett.

"Are you all right, young Lady?"

Gerard asked after he took Chloe to the corner of the banquet hall to escape the public eye. He felt guilty that young Lady Roem seemed to be the center of gossip because of him.

"I'm all right."

Chloe tried to answer Gerard calmly.

Of course, it was a lie to say that people's attention was not burdensome for her. However, there was something she was more conscious about than people's attention. The gaze of one person, Gerard, was laced with worry as he looked at her. It was so sweet that she couldn't care less about the others.

It was dangerous for one specific person to mean more than others, though Chloe didn't realize it.

"Now entering: Archduke Frederick de Anata and Lady Leila Stein."

Gerard's manners only lasted until then. Right before Leila appeared.

Gerard's body stiffened at the voice of the royal servant announcing Frederick and Leila's arrival. From that moment on, he couldn't take his eyes off the pair.

"Long time no see, young Lord."

"..."

It was no use pretending to introduce Gerard to the person beside them. Chloe sent the other person off with a silent apology.

Flinch.

Then, his body seemed to tremble slightly.

Chloe, who was wondering what absorbed all of his attention, naturally looked at where his gaze remained. There, the Archduke and Leila were smiling brightly.

Was it that shocking? Gerard's forearm, which Chloe had been resting her hand on, stiffened.

"Excuse me, Sir..."

What was she supposed to say in this situation? What kind of words would comfort this man?

'I wonder if he will look at me when I try talking to him.'

She had spent all of her time dressing her best, but it wasn't enough to catch Gerard's attention. All the hard work she had put in felt wasted.

Beside Gerard, who had stiffened like a rock, Chloe once again had to admit that her unrequited love was hopeless. His gaze made her feel as miserable as it thrilled her.

Soon after, the Emperor, his wife, the Crown Prince, and Princess, who was the main character of the banquet, entered. However, Gerard Blanchett's eyes didn't waver the entire time. His eyes stayed on Leila even during the Emperor's congratulatory speech.

Nothing changed even when he danced with Chloe. Gerard's eyes shone only when he captured the sight of Leila over Chloe's shoulder.

On the other hand, Chloe was so conscious of Gerard's hand on her waist that she didn't know how to react. She was so nervous that she almost forgot how to breathe.

Eventually, she stepped on Gerard's foot.

"I apologize, Sir."

Chloe was embarrassed by her mistake and apologized in a hurry. This was the first mistake she made since her debutante.

"...It's all right."

Gerard grinned generously. He didn't care about the mistake she made. He just looked at her soullessly, his eyes forming a half moon shape.