Chapter Fifteen: Wild Apricot Vs. Empty Vessels (4)

"If you're here as a friend, change that tone of yours."

Gerard spoke brusquely.

The friendship between Emperor Owen de Hernia and the Imperial Knight Commander Gerard Blanchett began during their time in the academy.

On official occasions, they were envied as a dignified Lord and loyal Knight Commander. However, when it was just the two of them, they acted as if they were in their teens.

"Oh, that's what makes our Marquis Blanchett dissatisfied. But what can I do? There's no other way to express my dignity than speaking in this tone."

Owen knew his friend despised his professional tone, so he used it to tease him. Gerard, who noticed Owen's intentions, knitted his eyebrows even more.

"I can't allow you to visit my shabby office at this late hour. I will visit you tomorrow morning instead."

Gerard said politely while opening the door again. However, the meaning of his words was no different from pushing his guest out.

"Oh, take my pranks lightheartedly. Try dealing with old people who act blindly obedient to your face and while they scheme behind your back. Your tone will naturally become like this."

In the end, it was Owen who raised his hands in defeat. He switched back to his usual tone and grumbled.

Owen poured himself a drink and grinned. He just remembered something else he could use to tease his friend.

"But is it true that the First Knight Commander, who usually leaves work quickly, is now working overtime even though there's no work to be done?"

"Why are those b*stards so quick to spread rumors in the Imperial Palace?"

Gerard grumbled as he took a glass from the cupboard and sat across Owen.

"You're the one who used to abandon his Lord and rush home even though I always ask you to have a drink with me."

"What's the good in drinking with Your Majesty? My wife and Abel are waiting for me at home."

Gerard spoke sternly as if he didn't need to do such a thing with his friend and poured alcohol into the glass.

"Gotcha! So it must be because my sister-in-law hasn't been home lately, right? Looking at your face, you don't seem to have gotten good sleep, but don't you feel lonely when you're unable to fall asleep? Are you unable to endure it because you miss her that much?"

Owen asked with a gleam of mischief in his eyes.

Owen's wife, Karina Roem, was Chloe's older sister. Therefore, Chloe became Owen's sister-in-law, and they became 'brothers'.

"..."

Gerard didn't answer Owen's question and quickly gulped down his drink.

Shortly after Chloe and Abel arrived in the North, it was revealed that the mother and child had left the Blanchett Residence. But if he knew his friend would tease him like this, he would have kept it a secret a little longer.

Owen giggled at the sight of Gerard.

"I guess so. Pft, just so you know, you're the most devoted husband I know."

Tak.

Gerard put down his glass with a harsh movement. He couldn't say anything because Owen's playful remarks were true. Owen, who knew him too well, suddenly felt bad for him.

"Stop it, alright?"

Formal honorifics were thrown out the window.

"No, I'm just sad. It's a pity."