Chapter Forty. Our Prologue (1)

"Marry the person set out for you, you say? Who is it?"

"..."

Chloe didn't answer. However, Gerard could deduce it without having to hear it from his wife directly. When his wife was still a young Lady of the Roem Family, there was only one man she talked about getting married to. The man that kept appearing in his dreams every night, Herace Moore!

"...Isn't it all an excuse for you to go to him?"

Gerard's aggressive emotions were oppressing his rationality. He was no longer thinking before he spoke. He was expressing the emotions that had been hidden deep inside.

"?"

"If you really valued our eight years together... If you really believed me, you would've come to me as soon as you discovered it."

"..."

Gerard was also upset at Chloe. Why didn't his wife come straight to him after finding the letter? Did she not trust him that much? Or...?

"However, you didn't do that, my Lady. You chose to come to the North with this letter instead of talking to me!"

In the end, Gerard's jealousy burst out. Chloe took it as an insult.

"Hasn't that letter pushed you to feel something different?! Maybe you feel guilty for him, the Knight Commander of Anata, who was said to be unable to forget you and didn't get married at all!"

Slap!

Gerard's head snapped to the side upon the sharp slap.

"You... You! How much more miserable are you going to make me feel?"

Chloe, who couldn't stand the insults, slapped Gerard's face.

'What is he even saying now?'

Gerard finally relaxed upon hearing the trembling voice of his wife. That was the reason he was being careful. He was afraid his wife would get hurt because of his lack of confidence. However, all his efforts went down the drain in an instant.

"I swear I didn't do anything shameful for your sake and for Abel's."

"..."

Gerard glanced at Chloe's hand. His wife's hand seemed red, perhaps because she slapped him quite hard. It concerned him more than himself, who had been slapped.

"Then you regard me as Leila's substitute, is that so? Why, if I'm a mere substitute, can't you stand the sight of me going to the arms of another man?"

Chloe shot back at Gerard, who couldn't say anything for a moment.

"Ha, you, Leila's substitute?"

Gerard turned his head and replied.

"Why?! Am I not worthy of being a substitute?"

"Chloe!"

Gerard called Chloe's name loudly. Why did he only call her name when they were in this kind of situation?

"..."

He wouldn't have done that if he had known how much it hurt Chloe.

"Don't put yourself down. I've never thought of you that way."

"...You didn't marry me because of Leila?"

"Definitely not."

"Then, why in the world did you propose to me? If you have even a hint of conscience, tell me honestly!"

That question should have been asked eight years ago when he asked for her hand in marriage. However, Chloe didn't have the courage to ask, and Gerard didn't know exactly what his feelings were at that time.