Chapter Nine: Between Friendship And Love

Chloe began to read the letters. Her dignity as a Marchioness wasn't important in that moment.

"Huh? What is this?"

And she soon couldn't help but cry.

She knew for a long time that Gerard loved Leila. She'd read his desperate love letter several times in the book inside her dreams as she watched them from afar.

However, it was shocking to read the letters that Gerard wrote with his feelings conveyed through each word.

[Forget what others say, Leila. You shine the most when holding a sword. But, do others' words matter more than mine?]

[Frederick Anata, are you sure he's a good guy? They say you shouldn't judge people by rumors, but I'm concerned.]

[Congratulations, Leila! Such a perfect diplomatic answer deserves praise from Her Majesty the Empress. I'm so proud of you!]

He didn't just say he loved her. The letters were full of affection, adoration and caring, which she was jealous of.

Chloe only shed more tears as she read her husband's letters, which reeked of fresh love. It was miserable, because she compared her situation to Leila's, who was so easily loved like this.

Chloe wiped away her tears, being careful not to let them drop on the letters and create a stain.

"I hate you so much."

"Why are you making me read this? Why are you making me look through this? Why are you making me feel so miserable? This is... all your fault.'

"I hate you."

Chloe read Gerard's letters, which were many, and cleared her blurry vision several times. However, she couldn't read the letters well, whether it was because she was drunk or anxious.

"Ugh... Huff."

Chloe took a deep breath and tried to concentrate.

She was a mess. She was anxious because of her friend who was sleeping behind her, because she couldn't stop crying, and because her mind was hazy due to the alcohol.

However, Chloe eventually found the letter that caused the problem. The letter was distinctly different from the others on first glance. It seemed uncharacteristically short.

Knock, knock.

Then, someone knocked on the door. Chloe was startled, so she hurriedly closed the letterbox and put it back in its place. She did it in such a hurry that she hit her finger, but she couldn't afford to feel the pain.

Knock, knock.

In the meantime, the person knocked once more.

"Y-you can come in."

Creak.

It was Frederick.

"She didn't come no matter how long I waited."

He glanced over at his wife, who was sleeping against the sofa, and then to Chloe, who was standing awkwardly in front of him. The atmosphere in the room was unusual.

"My wife is drunk, but the Marchioness seems okay."

"...Oh, I just woke up, too."

Chloe avoided Frederick's eyes and equivocated.

"Hm. I guess you both drank away your troubles."

Frederick guessed while glancing at the empty bottles that Leila and Chloe had consumed. Actually, they were almost all emptied by Leila.