Chapter Thirty One : The Despairing Side Of The Fight Between Married Couple (4)

"Yes, come on in."

Chloe answered the knock on the carriage door. She naturally thought Jane had come to bring their meal.

"..."

"Father!"

However, the person who opened the door was her husband, whom she didn't want to see more than anyone else. Contrary to her stiff posture, Abel welcomed his father brightly.

"I... brought your meal, my Lady."

Gerard spoke awkwardly.

"Yes."

"Uhm... aren't you frustrated after staying in the carriage all this time? How about having your meal in the open field?"

"..."

Chloe remained quiet despite her husband's kind suggestion. It was because she didn't think she would say nice things to him. His back, which left her behind yesterday, still lingered faintly before her eyes.

"What do you think, Abel?"

Gerard asked Abel when Chloe didn't answer.

"Good idea!"

Abel, who had grown frustrated after staying in the carriage for a long time, quickly answered. Chloe had no choice but to follow her excited son out of the carriage.

***

However, eating together failed to relieve the tense atmosphere.

"Abel, don't leave your carrots behind."

Chloe treated Gerard as if he didn't exist and kept her eyes only on Abel.

"Yes, Abel. You have to eat carrots so that you can be stronger."

Gerard helped Chloe from the side. However, her blue eyes never once turned towards him. Right, if he thought about it, there were times when he really despised blue eyes. He thought he couldn't be happy because he wasn't born with blue eyes. Therefore, he despised his green eyes, and blue eyes that he couldn't have.

But now he was devastated that those blue eyes didn't reach him. He wanted to force her to look at him. Funny enough, he thought he knew why his mother was hung up on blue eyes.

"My Lady, didn't you have a hard time riding the carriage for so long?"

"...I'm fine."

He didn't know whether she knew how he felt or not. His wife only gave a short answer and didn't even bother to look at him. Throughout lunch, the conversation went on with Gerard talking to Chloe while she simply answered with short remarks.