Chapter Forty Four: Our Prologue (5)

"Are you dating Sir Blanchett?"

"What? What do you mean, sister?"

Chloe denied it with a shake of her head.

"That's impossible!"

"Of course. Even the candlestick in the hallway of the Imperial castle knows that Gerard Blanchett only has Leila Stein in his heart."

"..."

"However, why did my dear sister return after drinking with Sir Blanchett alone last night, huh?"

"You have to know, sister. What happened last night was..."

"I told you not to get between those two, didn't I?"

Karina cut off Chloe's words fiercely.

"Do you want to get caught and be the main character of a scandalous rumor?"

"No, I don't..."

"Young Lady of Roem left the Blanchett Residence late at night. Do you know how many rumors that sole fact can make?"

"..."

"It's not common for Gerard Blanchett and Chloe Roem to be mentioned together..."

"Fine! Stop it!"

Chloe, who could no longer bear to hear it, interrupted Karina. At some point, she was confused whether to interpret her sister's words as concern or an insult for her behavior.

"You... Why are you raising your voice right now?"

"All right. I'll be careful."

"..."

"I was simply invited to the Blanchett mansion for dinner yesterday. We drank some wine because he said he wanted to treat me. I'm sorry for not being able to control the amount I drank. However, we didn't really do anything more than that."

Chloe blurted out everything she wanted to say.

"Look, now that I've come home safely, it's settled, right?"

At the end of her sentence, Chloe lay down and pulled the blanket over her head. She showed Karina her back and muttered.

"Please leave now. I want to be alone. My head is ringing."

She could feel Karina getting up from the bed.

"Sigh..."

Karina seemed to hesitate for a moment and sighed, but eventually left the room.

Chloe closed her eyes in frustration. It always ended like this every time she talked to Karina.

As the center of society, Karina was very sensitive to rumors. Knowing the filthiness of gossip in society, she regulated her sisters to not get caught up in it.

At first, Chloe attempted to understand Karina's intentions. However, Karina's coercive and inconsiderate control of Chloe made her gradually close that gate of understanding.

The emotional gap between them deepened. She was frustrated because she couldn't figure out how to close it.

***

Leila turned to look at Gerard when she heard the sound of escaping air.

"What happened?"

"No, it's nothing."

Gerard waved his hand, his gaze lingering on Chloe for a moment.

Feeling his gaze, Chloe almost spat out her tea. Gerard Blanchett often laughed at her since they drank together.