Chapter Fifty seven: The Beginning Of Their Feelings (8)

"I heard from Leila that you've taken interest in her, so I went to meet her."

"You're in touch with Leila... Anata?"

"Of course, she is the Grand Duchess of Anata now. There's nothing wrong with keeping in touch with her."

His mother was exchanging letters with Leila in the North. He wasn't happy about that.

"Mother was really worried that you didn't actively court anyone under the pretext of being busy. That's why I asked Leila if she knew about any decent young ladies."

Helena was excited when her son seemed to be interested in her words. She explained the situation with hand gestures.

"Leila told me to meet Chloe Roem. If I met her, I would definitely like her."

As Helena continued with her story, a deep crease appeared between Gerard's eyebrows.

"It turns out that she is calm and mature. It definitely shows that she was educated properly."

"..."

"Her eyes were very pretty..."

A brief glint appeared in Helena's eyes, but Gerard clearly saw the obsession and madness in that brief moment.

'As expected, nothing has changed.'

Despite his mother's act, nothing had ever changed. He had to hold back the hostility that rose from inside.

"However, it's not like I'm not troubled by that."

Helena continued talking without noticing her son's horrified expression.

"You heard the story about the first daughter of the family, right? It seems that she ran away because of love, so there's no guarantee that Chloe won't do that, right?"

Gerard could no longer take it. What the h*ll did his mother say about Chloe?

"But I really like the fact that she's family with the Empress..."

Gerard spoke to Helena in a cold voice when she whined, as if lamenting his preferences.

"I've said it several times, but I'll take care of my marriage on my own."

"What?"

"I'm sorry but I don't need your help, Mother."

"..."

"I've been doing well my entire life without your help. Therefore, you don't have to try helping me now."

It was a refusal. It was a refusal to interfere in his marriage affairs, but it was actually a refusal to Helena.

"I think you should leave now."

Gerard stood up shortly after.

Feeling hurt by her son's cold gaze, Helena bit her lip. She thought it was fine because he didn't push her away when she got close. However, it was just a delusion.

Gerard didn't want to be buried in his feelings from the past. Over time, his hatred and resentment faded, but it didn't disappear.

"...Yes, I must have taken up too much of your time."

Helena rose from her seat with an awkward expression. She had to put all her strength in doing so in order not to collapse in front of her son. Helena realized something that day. Her child had already grown up enough to not need a mother. It was a late realization. Too late.

***

Gerard received a letter from Leila a few days later, the very letter that got him in trouble.

[I recently heard from your mother that you are looking for a partner. I was always worried that you were never interested in marriage. If there is a good candidate, she asked me to introduce her.