Chapter Nineteen: The Fantasia Of Love And Jealousy (3)

Sob.

Abel's weeping didn't subside even when they arrived at their room in the archduchy. The room was full of weeping sounds because he couldn't control his crying.

"Shh. My dear son, look at me."

Chloe said while patting her son on the back, his head buried in her shoulder.

"Abel, show your face to me."

"Huuu..."

"Can I see your face, Abel?"

Abel slowly pulled his head away at Chloe's plea. His swollen eyes and nose looked so pitiful that it made her tear up. Chloe swallowed, her throat dry.

"...Abel. Mother is alright."

Chloe smiled while maintaining eye contact with Abel, as if telling him she was alright. But it only made Abel even more sad.

"Huuu, Mother."

"Stop crying, okay? I'm worried that you might faint after crying so much."

"Huu, sob, huhu."

Abel tried to stop his weeping upon hearing his mother's words. The sight of him trying to hold back tears was a sorrowful one. Chloe comforted her poor son by kissing him all over his face.

"Oh, my son must've been very surprised."

Abel gradually regained control of himself in the arms of his mother who kept comforting him. The sound of his breathing was still quite uneven, but his weeping almost came to a stop.

Chloe sighed softly while she rubbed Abel's back. After they came to the North, there were endless incidents and accidents that followed.

Chills ran down her spine upon thinking that maybe she was supposed to die a while ago. However, she couldn't be emotional. It was obvious that Abel would become more anxious if she was emotional.

She had to appear strong to be an emotional support for her son. She thought so while clasping her trembling hands.

Abel spoke into his mother's arms.

"I couldn't keep my promise, huuu."

Abel, who had calmed down, began to pout his lips sorrowfully again. The corners of the child's mouth went down, seemingly unable to control his sadness.

"Huh? What promise?"

"I promised to protect you, Mother... I made a promise to Father..."

Abel became worse the more he talked, tears welling up in his blue eyes again.

"Oh..."

Chloe's effort to control her emotions had been rendered useless. Tears welled up in her eyes as well.

This little child was blaming himself for not being able to protect her. The child she was supposed to protect was saying he would protect her. When did he grow up?

"Abel, you've kept your promise."

"...?"

Chloe gently grabbed Abel's face and initiated eye contact with him. She saw her reflection in the most beautiful eyes in the world.

"Abel, you already protected me."

"That's a lie! I couldn't keep my promise."

Abel shook his head. He thought his mother was intentionally lying to him.

"Abel, listen to me. The most important thing to me is you, and you know that, right? If you get hurt, Mother will be very sad. Much more than if Mother gets hurt. That's how you protected me by not getting hurt, got it?"