36

Elyssa was hooked up to a bunch of different machines. Tubes in her arm, a thing on her finger tracking her heart beat. She has a large bump forming on the left side of her head. It's already black and blue. Her face is cut up. There's one big cut that has stitches, on her right cheek. She has random bruises and small cuts on her arms and hands as well. There's no way this is real, Jack thinks.
"I'll give you all a minute" the doctor leaves the group. No one says anything. They all just look at Elyssa laying there lifeless. Consistent tears stream down jacks face.
"Cooper" he says weakly. He walks to the side of the bed. He sits next to the bed, grabbing her hand in his. "Holy shit" he breathes.
About 15 minutes later, there's a knock at the door.
"Hi, I'm doctor Davis" a women enters the room. "I am going to be Elyssa doctor." The group greets her as best as they can. "I understand the crazy situation you are all dealing with right now. I just want you all to be comfortable and confident that she is going to get the best possible care." Davis reads things from the machines, writing them down. "Are you all just going to stare at me like that?" She asks.
"I'm sorry. Uh- I'm Megan. Elyssas my best friend and roommate." Megan introduces herself.
"I'm Luke"
"I'm Ty. We're her friends." Ty gestures at both him and Luke.
"Um, I'm Jack. I'm her boyfriend" Jack says, audibly upset. Davis nods after every introduction.
"Well, we are going to run more tests. But she is stable. And even though she's not conscious, she can hear you. So feel free to talk to her. Not about stressful things though, that could raise her blood pressure, which we don't want. Just tell her about your day, casual conversation things." Davis tells them.
"Right" Jack scoffs under his breath.
"When will we know more?" Megan asks.
"Tomorrow" Davis tells her. They thank the doctor as she leaves. The group sits in the room for a while before Ty gets up.
"I'm going to get some food. I saw a chipotle across the street." Ty says.
"I'll go" Luke says.
"I guess I will too" Megan stands.
"Jack you want anything?" Ty asks.
"Nah" jack shakes his head.
"Dude you haven't eaten since this morning." Ty reasons, "you gotta eat something."
"Fine. I'll text you" Jack says. He didn't actually want anything. The thought of eating made him want to throw up. But Ty was right. He hadn't eaten since hours before practice. Megan, Ty and Luke leave the room, going across the street.
"Lyss" Jack whispers. "I have no idea if you can actually hear me, or if the doctor just told us you can to make us feel better. Anyway, I- I don't actually know what to say. I guess that I love you. And that I need you. I can't imagine my life without you. So please, if this is one of those fight or flight things, please fight. Please fight. You gotta come back to me." Tears race down his cheeks as he rubs the back of her hand with his thumb. He brushes hair out of her face gently, observing her face.
"It's weird that just a few days ago you were so concerned with me. Because I fell on the ice and cut my lip. You were acting like it was the end of the world." He laughs lightly to himself. "And by the way. This is not what I meant by 'want to do something tonight'." He jokes, growing slightly comfortable talking to her than before.
Ty, Megan and Luke come through the door with a chipotle bag. They turn on the tv, trying to find something to watch while they ate. They watch a random show as it grows dark outside.
"It's getting late" Ty says.
"It's 10" Megan checks the time.
"I'm not leaving" Jack is quick to say.
"What about practice tomorrow?" Luke asks his brother.
"I'll tell coach I can't go. I'm not leaving her here." Jack states. Both Ty and Luke sigh, knowing they're not going to change jacks mind.
"You coming Megan?" Ty asks as him and Luke begin to leave.
"Nah. I'm not particularly fond of leaving her either" she tells them.
"If you need anything let us know. We'll be back tomorrow" Ty says as he and Luke hug both Jack and Megan on their way out.
"Jack?" Megan looks across the bed at him.
"Mhm?" He hums.
"Do you think she's gonna be ok?" She asks him with a shaky voice.
"I don't know" he whispers.