44

Elyssa stirs slightly as Jack carries her into her room. She cuddles her face into his chest subconsciously. He lays her in her bed, getting ready to leave. She reaches up, grabbing his hand. He stops walking, turning around to look at her. Her eyes were barely open, she was exhausted.
"Jack please stay." She requests groggily.
"Uh... yeah, if you want me to." He says. He quickly tosses Ty his car keys and gently climbs into bed with her. He feels odd. He hasn't been in her bed in months. The last time being before her accident, when everything was normal. He lays in bed, stiffly. He's doesn't want to be disrespectful or overstep. Elyssa rolls over, cuddling herself toward his body. She partly lays on top of him, resting her head in the crook of his neck. He lays a hand on her back, rubbing it up and down. He tries to let himself relax as he falls asleep.
"Please no" Jack wakes up hearing, "I can't. No" he hears Elyssa talk in her sleep. "I don't remember" she mutters. He notices her breathing quicken.
"Lyss." He tries to wake her. "Cooper" he rubs her back. "Baby wake up. Please" he doesn't like seeing her go through this nightmare. Abruptly, Elyssa wakes up. She looks panicked and confused.
"You seemed like you were having a nightmare I just..." he explains to her, trailing off.
"Yeah" she breathes.
"You wanna... talk about it?" He offers. She sits up, sitting criss crossed on the bed. He follows her actions, sitting the same way.
"I keep replaying it. It's in my dreams. I don't get why I can't remember you, or the summer, or my own birthday, but I can vividly remember the moment I was hit." She admits.
"I'm sorry. I didn't know you're getting nightmares." Jack feels badly.
"I just, I know I'm supposed to know who you are. I can tell that it's hurting you. I know that I like being around you. I don't know why, but I feel safe and comfortable around you. I can relax around you. And I feel awful that I don't remember you. But I just, I'm sorry." she trails off, opening up to Jack.
"Don't apologize. It is what it is. I want to help you. I just don't know how or what to say or do." He says.
"Just act normal." She tells him, "don't walk on eggshells around me."
"Alright fine, I won't." He says sarcastically.
"Good" she giggles. He smiles, happy to see her smiling. The two lay back down, falling back asleep.
The next morning, Jack woke up to his alarm. Elyssa stirs awake unhappily.
"I'm sorry. I have to go to practice." He whispers, reaching to his phone to turn off the alarm.
"Stay" she cuddles closer to his side.
"Baby I wish I could." He tells her. Reluctantly, Jack gets out of bed. He makes his way to practice.
"How'd it go last night?" Ty asks as they sit in the locker room getting ready.
"I'm confused man. Like I know she doesn't remember and everything but she's acting like everything is normal." Jack tells Ty.
"I bet she doesn't even realize she's doing it." Ty responds.
"She had a nightmare about it bro" Jack sighs, feeling bad that Elyssa was going through this. They continue to talk as they get ready and go out on the ice for practice. That night Jack stayed at home.