38

Jack walks behind Ty with his head down. They enter the devils locker room and Jack can feel eyes on him. He tries hard to ignore them, knowing they're his friends and teammates. Jack sits in his stall, beginning his pre-practice routine. There is a quiet looming in the locker room. No one wanting to say anything, afraid it'll be wrong. Jack doesn't want to tell them it's ok to act normal. He's afraid he'll open his mouth and start crying while trying to say something. So he stays quiet. Ty notices jacks demeanor, turning on music while they get ready.
During practice, Jack was quiet. He was distracted and all he could think about was Elyssa. He missed easy shots and fumbled around with simple passes.
"Jack, meet me in my office before you leave" coach Ruff says as he steps off the ice at the end of practice.
"Yes coach" Jack nods. His teammates look at each other, concerned. Jack keeps to himself in the locker room before going to his coaches office.
"Have a seat" Ruff gestures to a chair. Jack sits down, uncomfortably. Once Jack gets settled, Ruff starts talking. "What's going on kid?"
"Coach you know what's going on." Jack says, his voice sounding defeated.
"I know that Jack. But you need to focus on yourself. This is your job. Everything you've ever worked towards. Man, you earned that A on your jersey. You're a leader." Ruff points out.
"I get that coach. I just- I don't know. I- I know it sounds stupid but she's all I can think about. I just need for her to be ok." Jack admits.
"Here's what I'm proposing. You show up and give 100% like you normally do, and you can have your phone on the bench so that you'll hear if there's news. But- you need to show up. Practice, games, everything. Got it?" Ruff says.
"Yes sir. Thank you" Jack nods.
"Alright go home and shower, you need it." Ruff jokes. Jack smiles at the joke as he gets up, leaving the office.
"Are you suspended? Did he yell at you? Do you have to like go through punishment or something?" Luke badgers Jack while they drive home.
"No dude. Shut up" Jack snaps.
"Sorry" Luke says quietly.
"He told me that I need to show up. He said that I can have my phone by the ice so I'll hear if something happens." Jack explains.
"That's nice of him" Ty says. Jack nods in agreement. Once they get home, Jack showers and packs a bag. He brings his pillow and a blanket and one of his hoodies for Elyssa along with other overnight essentials.
"I'm glad you went to practice" Megan tells Jack as he gets back to Elyssas hospital room.
"Yeah. It wasn't a good practice for me but my coach told me I can keep my phone near in case something happens" he tells her. He sets his bag down in a hospital recliner chair. He takes out his hoodie, laying it near Elyssas head.
"What are you doing?" Megan chuckles.
"I think it'll help her wake up if she smells something familiar and comforting." Jack tells her his theory.
"Like a dog missing it's owner?" Megan laughs.
"No. Like- ok maybe. But it's worth a shot" Jack admits.
He spent almost two weeks basically living in Elyssas hospital room. Only leaving for hockey or food. Megan turned on his games every night they had one. She narrated the game as it was happening, making sure to tell Elyssa what Jack was doing. People came and went during visiting hours. Elyssas room slowly filling with balloons, cards and flowers. Her phone was blowing up with messages from fans. All while she lay there, looking lifeless.