Episode 89

Mia wakes up in Joe’s basement to a ringing in her ear. She picks up her cell phone and stares sleepily at the screen. “1 New Voice Mail," she sighs and sits up on the couch to call her voice mail. “Hey, it’s Joe," the message starts, "I’m going to be gone for a few days. Make sure you get to school at least twice this week and don’t cause any trouble while I’m gone. I left a message for my mom so she’s probably going to be pretty upset the rest of the week, so don’t get caught. I’ll see you when I get back.” She lowers the phone and gives it a questioning look before groaning and falling back down on the couch, burying her head in her pillow.

~~~

Scarlett’s walking around her room trying to get ready for school when she hears her phone buzzing on her nightstand. She grabs her phone and stares at the screen a moment before dialing her voice mail. “Hey Scar, it’s Dani. I just wanted to let you know that I’m going to be gone for the next few days so don’t freak out when you realize I’m not at school. Oh, and I told my dad that I’m staying with you so if you could cover for me I’d really appreciate it. Don’t worry about me, I’m not in any trouble. I’ve just decided to take a little…break. So, I’ll see you in a few days! Thanks!” Scarlett lowers her phone with a smirk and shakes her head.

~~~

Nick’s sleeping sound in his bed but is woken up by a buzzing in his ear. He groans and turns over on his side, reaching for his phone on his nightstand. He holds it above his head, squinting to see the text message. “Hey, it’s me. I’ve decided to take a little road trip. I’ll be back in a few days. I’m sorry about yesterday. We’ll talk when I get back.” He sighs and sets his phone down on his bed, starring at the ceiling.

 ~~~

Jake’s walking out of a local convenience store with a slushy drink when he hears his phone buzzing in his pocket. He stops and pulls out his phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, it’s Joe."

"Joseph! What’s up, man?"

He snickers. "What’s with the peppy-ness?"

"I’m drinking a slushy, man. It’s impossible to be upset when you’re drinking a slushy."

"You’re a freak," he jokes.

Jake takes a sip of his slushy. "You know it!"

"I need you to do something for me."

"Name it."

"Keep an eye on Mia. I’m going to be out of town for a few days and I don’t want her going off the rails while I’m gone."

"Where are you going?"

"None of your business."

"Oooh, one of those things, huh?" Jake infers with with suspicious tone. 

"Look, just keep tabs on her while I’m gone, okay?"

"That won’t be that hard, she’s working with me everyday after school."

"What?"

"She came into the coffee shop yesterday and asked for her old job back."

"She did? Wow, I’m surprised. I’d say that’s a step in the right direction."

"Or a step backwards."

"I should be back in a few days just-"

"-keep an eye on her…got it."

"Thanks."

"Anytime."

Joe turns off his phone just as Dani enters the passenger seat of the car with a large bag of food and two large drinks. "What did you do, buy the whole junk food section," he jokes and begins searching through the bag.