Episode 45

Mia looks up from her position behind the counter and sees Dani sitting at the back table once again. She gives her a curious look before quietly mumbling to herself. "Again?" She sighs and walks over to Dani's table, looking down at her with a small smile and ordering pad in hand. "Can I get you something?"

She looks up at Mia and takes a moment to think. "Uh...could I get an iced frappe? Thanks." She watches as Mia turns and walks back to the front, suddenly, remembering that Mia is Scarlett's best friend; a slight panic takes over her face and she quickly stands up, walking over to Mia.

"Was there something else you needed?" Mia asks in confusion.

"No...well, kind of...I was wondering if you could maybe not say anything about this?"

"About...what?" Mia asks her, clearly confused.  

"About me and Nick meeting here...I mean, I know you're Scarlett's best friend and I know she would go all protective mother on me if she knew I was tutoring Nick."  

Mia nods, finally understanding why her and Nick keep showing up here everyday after school. "Oh...now I get it. Yeah, don't worry, my lips are sealed." She shows a small smile.  

"Thanks." Dani smiles gratefully at her before turning and walking back to her seat.  

~~~  

Nick's walking down the street towards the coffee house when his phone begins to ring. "Hello?"  

"Where are you?" Mr. Jerry asks his son in his usual rough voice.  

"I'm going to the coffee shop to study, why?"  

"I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be leaving around eight tonight and I probably won't be back for a couple of days. I have a business meeting out of town."  

"Alright. Well...guess I'll see you in a few days then."  

"Don't burn down the house while I'm gone and no company whatsoever, do you understand?!"  

"Yes sir, I understand."  

Mr. Jerry quickly hangs up without another word. Nick sighs when he hears the other end of the phone line go dead and he hits the red button before walking through the door of the coffee house. He sits down in front of Dani with a frown. "Alright, I'm here. Let's get this over with."  

"Now there's the spirit." She smirks and opens her book and he does the same.  

Mia walks over to their table and hands Dani her iced frappe.  

She looks up at Mia with a smile. "Thanks."  

Nick looks up at her with a devious smirk. "Hey, look who it is...Maggie!"  

Her look of disgust soon turns to fake and upbeat excitement. "Hey, look who it is...Nick the dick!"

She glares at him before turning and walking back to the front.  

Dani's frappe nearly comes through her nose as she begins laughing. Nick glares at Dani and yells after Mia. "Hey! You didn't take my order, Coffee Girl!"  

Mia yells back at him without turning around. "Sorry, we don't serve non-humans here, try the animal shelter across the street."  

Dani continues laughing and uses the napkin on the table to wipe her mouth. Nick glares at Mia one last time before glaring ahead at Dani who slowly begins to calm her laughing before smiling at Nick. "I think she just might be my new favorite person." She chuckles and shakes her head, looking down at the book in front of her. He continues glaring at Dani with disapproval as she rolls her eyes at him. "Oh, get over it. You deserved it. You need to stop being such an ass...grow up."  

He sits back in his seat, surprised by the sureness in Dani's voice. He's had people call him an ass before but she was the only person who made him consider for a moment that it might actually be true.