Episode 62

Scarlett sees Taylor at her locker the next day at school and walks up to her with a smile. "So, did you get the decorations for tomorrow?"

Taylor nods and closes her locker, looking over at her with a glum expression. "Yep, all in the back of my car and ready to be strewn across your house for Miss Dani Landon."

Scarlett notices her less than enthused attitude. "Wow, you better tone down the excitement there, Tay, people might start to get suspicious." She chuckles after speaking with obvious sarcasm.

"I'm sorry...I really feel horrible for being jealous but it's normal, right? I mean my boyfriend is putting together this amazing super secret birthday bash for his girl best friend and here I am...the decorator. Am I totally wrong for feeling this way?"

"You know, Taylor, I'd be worried if you weren't being visited by the green eyed monster. But for your sake, Joe's sake and Dani's sake...just try to get through tomorrow night."

"Believe me, I'm going to try but there no telling how successful my attempt will be."

Scarlett shows a small smile before linking her arm with Taylor's and walking down the hall, unaware the school was filled with listening ears.

~~~

It's the night of the big surprise part and Dani can feel the nerves rising in her stomach as she applies the last bit of blush to her cheeks while anticipating her 'date' with Joe. She's starring at her made up face in her full length mirror when her father knocks on her open door.

"Dimples?"

She turns around with a small smile while putting on a bracelet. "Hey, dad."

He walks into her room holding a small blue box behind his back. "Happy birthday." He smiles and walks over to her, kissing her on the forehead.

She smiles up at her father. "Thanks, dad."

"Now, I know the last thing you want to do is hang out with your boring old dad on your eighteenth birthday but just promise me that tomorrow we can at least eat the questionable cake I made for you." He smirks.

She looks up at him with a big, surprised smile. "You made me a cake? Dad...you can't cook."

"Yes, and pretty soon we'll know for sure."

She laughs softly and shakes her head.

Mr. Landon brings the small box out from behind his back and holds it out to her with a smile. "It's from me...and your mother."

She gives him a look of slight confusion.

"She gave it to me to give to you on your eighteenth birthday before she died. She said it reminded her of the stars and anytime you're feeling lost just look at this and she'll be right beside you."

She takes the box and looks down at it.

"Have fun tonight...but not too much fun." He snickers before turning and walking out of her room.

She sits down on her bed and slowly opens the box, pulling out a beautiful sparkling necklace with a heart pendant. Her eyes begin to tear as she flips the pendant over and reads the engraved words on the back. "Just like the stars above, I'm always with you. Love, Mom." She feels tears running down her cheeks but can't look away from the necklace, she sits there starring at the necklace for what seems like hours when she finally hears a soft knock on her opened door. She looks up to see Joe standing in her doorway with a small, sweet smile.

He slowly walks over to her and reaches his down, wiping away a few of her tears. She stares at him for a moment and her heart feels like it's about to beat out of her chest. She quickly reaches up and wipes away the remaining tears and stands up so she is now standing in front of him.