Episode 13

It's Saturday and Scarlett's getting ready for her date with Jake in her upstairs bedroom when her mom walks in. "You look beautiful."

Scarlett smiles and looks down at her outfit through the full length mirror. "You think?"

"No...I know." She walks over to her daughter and begins bringing her hair forward so it is laying over her shoulders. Mrs. Evans smiles and kisses her forehead. "So...this Jake guy...he's a keeper?"

She nods with a smile and glances at the floor. "Definitely a keeper."

"He's nice?"

"Absolutely."

"Respectful?"

"A little too much."

Mrs. Evans shakes her head for a moment, then smirks. "He's hot?"

Her eyes widen as her head nods continually.

Mrs. Evans chuckles and shakes her head. "Of course he is."

The doorbell rings and Scarlett looks towards the door then back at her mother with wide eyes. "He's here!" She turns around and grabs her bag.

"You better hurry up and get down there, Derek might scare him off."

Scarlett rushes out the door and down the stairs to find Derek standing in front of Jake. "So kid, what are your expectations for tonight?"

Scarlett rushes over to Derek and Jake and stand in between them so she is facing Jake. "O...kay, I think it's time to go." She takes Jake's hand and uses her other hand to open the door. Before walking out she turns back to Derek with a slight glare. "Goodbye, Derek." She looks up the stairs at her mom. "Night, mom." She shakes her head and walks out of the house with Jake, closing the door behind them.

Jake chuckles and walks with Scarlett to the car. "You didn't have to do that. I'm okay with the grilling; I kind of expected it anyways."

"You did?"

"Well, yeah. I figured an amazing girl like you must have a dad that would grill any guy who came within ten feet of his daughter."

She smiles and looks straight ahead. "That's sweet but...Derek isn't my dad."

Jake gives her a look of confusion as she continues to explain. "Not biologically anyways. He married my mom when I was fifteen. He's more of a father to me than my biological one ever was and a better one than he ever could have been."

Jake opens the passenger side door and speaks to her before she gets in. "He seems to really love you."

"And I him." She smiles before getting in the car.

~~~

After trying on a least a dozen shirts, Joe finally chooses his new light blue button up with blue jeans and converse shoes. He nods in approval at his self in the mirror then walks over to his phone on his bed side table. He picks up his phone and immediately begins searching his contacts. When he comes to Dani's number he begins to hit call but stops himself. He shakes his head and slides his phone in his pocket, walking out of his room.

~~~

Joe walks into the coffee shop and smiles when he sees Taylor sitting in the far corner sipping a cup of coffee. He makes his way over to her table. "Hey." He sits down in front of her.

Taylor looks up from her coffee with a smile. "Hey." She sets the coffee down and looks at Joe.

"Have you been waiting long?"

She shakes her head. "No, not that long."

He smiles and looks down at her coffee. "You already ordered?"