Episode 105

YOU WANT ANOTHER CHAPTER? HERE YA GO!  BY THE WAY...HAS ANYONE BEEN MISSING A CRUCIAL CHARACTER? ;)

YOU'RE WELCOME. (in the words of sadie saxton)

PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC!

~

The hospital was quiet the next morning, the only sounds that could be heard were the machines quietly beeping and shuffling of feet through the hall. Logan had gone back to sleep not long after his visit with Scarlett the night before and all Mia had done since then was sit beside his bed and watch him sleep. Although her head knew he was fine, her heart couldn’t help but worry. She felt like she had to keep her eyes on him in order for him to be okay, as if her looking at him would somehow keep him from leaving again. A low cough from the doorway causes Mia to lift her head from the uncomfortable hospital chair. She turns to find one of her oldest friends leaned up against the doorway and an enormous smile enhances every bit of her facial features. She jumps up quickly and throws her blanket back on the chair, rushing forward and practically leaping into the man’s arms. She chuckles softly as he lifts her from the ground, grasping tightly to her waist. “I can’t believe you’re here!” She exclaims, her heart nearly bursting in joy.

He laughs a deep sort of laugh, his large muscles making it very easy for him to hold the small woman in midair for nearly a minute. “I missed you too, Mia.”

He finally sets her feet back down on the concrete floors and smiles down at her with his large, pearly white teeth that could be seen from a mile away. “What are you doing here?” She stares at him a moment, taking in every bit of his black tee shirt, dog tag and combat boots. “How are you here?” She asks, her heart hurting for him and yet so proud at the same time.

“We’re being deployed to the Middle East at the end of the week but I got a call yesterday from the hospital.” He glances over at Logan who is seemingly fast asleep, his stomach moving up and down in a constant rhythm. “Is he really awake?”

She turns back to Logan and smiles. “Well, not at the moment but yes, he is out of his coma.” She shakes her head, her heart so obviously bursting in joy. “I can’t even explain how unbelievably happy I am.”

The man places his hands on Mia’s shoulders. She reaches up to lay her hand on his and turns back to face him, her eyes now filling with tears. “I don’t know how we can ever repay you for what you’ve done.”

He shakes his head and places both hands on either side of her face, wiping her tears with his thumbs. “Don’t.” She stands on her tiptoes and wraps her arms tightly around his neck once more, a few years escaping as she continues thanking him.

“Your letters were thanks enough.” He says quietly while his arms wrap around her waist. “Writing to you and waiting for your letters was the one thing I had to look forward to.”

Mia pulls away with a smile and wipes a few tears from her eyes. “I heard you had at least one other pen pal besides me.”

He nods with a smirk and chuckles. “Have you seen her lately?”

She nods and crosses her arms. “She’s in town.” Mia shakes her head and gives him a wide eyed look. “She’s publishing a book.”

He scratches the back of his head and snickers nervously. “Yeah, I heard. It was in the last letter she wrote.”

Silence fills the air for just a second before Mia utters the one question they were both mulling over. “You’re not…worried, are you?”

The male purses his lips and shakes his head but slowly the shaking ceases. “Well, maybe…I mean, shouldn’t we all be?”