Episode 50

Jake's standing outside the door of the coffee shop, looking inside. He lets out a deep, nervous breathe before swinging open the door and walking inside. He sees Mia standing behind the counter, wiping it down with a rag. 

She hears the bell over the door and looks up, smiling politely when she sees Jake walk in. "Hey."

"Hey." He walks over to the counter and stands on the opposite side as her.

"Scarlett's already got you needing caffeine to keep up with her peppiness?" Mia smirks, jokingly.

"Nah...well, actually, yes" He chuckles and shakes his head. "but that's not why I'm here."

She sets down the rag and looks at him with a small smile. "What's up?"

"I was wondering if you guys are hiring."

She gives him a look of slightly surprised. "Oh...well...I'm not really sure but you can fill out an application and I'll give it to my boss tomorrow." She pulls a paper out from underneath the counter and hands it to Jake.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

He glances down at the paper then back up at her. "So, how do you like working here?"

She shrugs with an unsure expression before giving him a small smile. "It's okay, better than most jobs, I guess...besides when the blender loses a bolt and blows up in your face. The job tends to lose it's appeal after that."

He laughs and gives a nod. "Yeah, I guess so."

She smiles and leans forward with curious eyes while talking in a high pitched voice. "So, how are things going with Scarlett?"

He can feel the guilt rising in his throat but he forces a smile and shrugs. "Maybe I should be asking you that question." He chuckles lightly. "I'm sure she tells you more than she tells me."

"Oh, the secrets best friends share..." She smirks and grabs the rag, continuing to wipe down the counter.

~~~

Joe's sitting at a table in the corner of the coffee shop with Taylor, starring out of the window lost in thought. Taylor's sipping on her strawberry smoothie when she notices his blank expression. She lifts her hand and begins waving it in front of his face to get his attention.

He comes out of thought and turns to Taylor with a smile. "Sorry."

"It's okay, you obviously have a lot on your mind. Want to talk about it?"

He looks at her for a minute before leaning forward. "On a scale from one to ten - ten being a total heartless and conniving ass - how would you rate Nick?"

She gives him a strange look mixed with the hint of a smile. "I thought we already established how much of an ass Nick was?"

"I know...it's just...he asked Landon to tutor him and she said yes."

Surprised, she sits back in her seat with wide eyes. "Why would Dani agree to tutor Nick?"

He shrugs and glances down at the table. "At first I thought she was just trying to get back at me for spending so much time with you but she wouldn't do something like that to intentionally irritate me. Besides, it makes more sense that Nick would ask her to help him just to get back at me for dating you."

She sighs and leans forward, putting her elbows on the table. "If you really want my opinion...I think it's highly possible that Nick is asking Dani for help just to get back at you."

Joe leans back in his chair with an agitated sigh. "I knew it."

"But I also know that despite what everyone thinks; Nick does have a heart, buried deep underneath a troubled childhood and a shield of protection."