Episode 90

Nick had been driving around town all night and when the sun began to rise he found himself sitting on the window ledge outside the coffee shop.

Jake walks up to the coffee house to open and looks to his right. "Nick?" Jake takes a step towards him, looking over his disheveled clothes and tired expression. "Whoa. What happened to you?"

He groans and stands up giving Jake a look of determination. "I need coffee."

He nods with that same look of confusion and turns around to open the coffee house door. He opens the door and steps inside, flipping on the light and glancing back at Nick while walking towards the counter. "Take a seat. I'll get the coffee."

Nick walks over to a table close by and sits down while Jake begins making the coffee. "So, are you going to tell me why you look like you just walked out of a horror show or do I need to start guessing?" Jake asks with his back turned.

He looks up at Jake through slanted eye lids. "Dani." It's the simplest answer. It's one reason for his troubles but there was also another; someone he didn't dare mention and definitely not to Jake.

Jake nods with wide, understanding eyes. "Ah... 'nuff said. I should have known, after what happened with Scarlett I looked like hell."

"Still getting over it, huh?" Nick shoots back with a small smirk.

"Hey, no smart comments to the guy making your coffee." Jake warns.

Nick holds up his hand and leans back in his chair. "Okay...okay."

"So, what happened with Dani?"

"Let's just say your new buddy isn't alone on his little escapade."

It takes Jake a moment to process what he's saying. "Joe and Dani?"

Nick nods once and Jake shakes his head with a smirk before turning around to grab some coffee mugs. "Dude, even someone deprived of eye's could have seen that coming."

Nick looks up from the table and gives him a confused expression. "What are you talking about? They've been friends for years...just friends."

"Exactly, and Joe has also been obsessed with Taylor for all those years. He finally gets the girl of his dreams and just weeks later they end it...coincidence? I think not."

Nick leans forward with his arms planted firmly on the table. "How the hell are you so informed? You just moved here a couple months ago and for some reason you know more about the people at Bradley High than the quarterback of the football team?"

Jake gives Nick a look. "Ex-quarterback." He corrects. "And Scarlett Westerly was my girlfriend...you learn things." He notices Nick's eye roll but continues. "And from what I've heard...Dani was never dating you for any reason other than Joe." He stops preparing for the opening and looks up at Nick, realizing that he may have just said far too much. He stares at Nick like a deer in the headlights. Nick stares back at Jake with a dumbstruck expression as it slowly changes to anger. Jake shakes his head, wishing he could take back what he just said. "Nick..." He stands up and shoves his chair back under the table before walking towards the door. "Don't do anything stupid!" He yells after Nick just as the door to the coffee house slams shut.

~~~

Dani slowly wakes up from her deep sleep and takes in her surroundings; a vast ocean, pure white sand and a deserted cavern hid away from the rest of the world with their blanket placed right at the foot. She turns her head to find Joe sleeping beside her with his arm supporting her head. She smiles and slowly sits up, starring out at the ocean. The sun was about to rise over the ocean but it was still rather dark around them. Joe slowly awakes when he feels Dani move beside him. He opens his eyes and smiles when he sees her sitting in front of him starring out at the ocean. She looks back at him with an apologetic expression. "Sorry, I haven't been able to sleep well lately."