Chapter 3: Arya, Don't Be Sad

Pester?

So, it turns out that that was how it viewed it.

There was an instant when she felt like she had seen herself from years ago again...

That rainy night, she stood along the street with the glorious lights.

She smiled and watched her past self after the damage was done...

Arya, who had been standing behind Mia, suddenly took a deep breath and slowly shut her eyes. Then, she opened them and turned around. She looked at Mia's slim figure and said plainly with some fatigue in her voice,

"Get into the car, Mia."

Her unexpected feeble and hoarse voice rang out, startling the few of them.

Ethan slowly looked up and realized that besides the car not too far away behind Mia, Arya, whose twinkling eyes had been silently watching all of this, stood holding an umbrella in the drizzle.

The freezing wind kept flapping her clothes and the swaying windbreaker made her body seem even frailer, yet her exquisite face which was half-covered by her shades revealed stubbornness and apathy.

"Arya..."

Ethan's handsome face suddenly turned rigid. A mix of emotions quickly flashed across his profound and silent eyes as his hands by his sides slowly tightened.

Victoria had also sensed that the arm Ethan circled around her waist had become unnaturally stiff. She immediately chewed on her pink lips slightly and slowly looked up Her beautiful eyes twinkled with light, reflecting weakness and longing in the way she looked at Arya.

She sniffed slightly, and in that instant, her eyes started to water as she called out to Arya with a raspy voice,

"Sis... I... I really miss you..."

Sis?

I really miss you.

These words that echoed in Arya's ears were akin to a sharp knife scraping against her wound that had not had time to heal. A coldness started to recklessly invade her body...

People said that time was the best healer, and that with time, the worst wounds would heal eventually...

They said that once you let go, you would realize that that person was never actually that important...

They said that after breaking up and getting used to the loneliness, you would not love that person as deeply as you thought you did...

At first, she thought that since it had been quite a few years, these things would lie in the past. She had gotten used to it too. Slowly, she could bear all of this, but hearsay was just hearsay. Who could prove that all of these were true?

In that second, she could feel too many things at once. Her chest hurt and her breath shortened. She found it hard to breathe as dizziness struck her and her heart ached.

However, as much as all the discomfort made her suffer, she could only just turn her head. She tightly shut her eyes and calmed herself down. Then, she opened her eyes, and hiding beneath the shades, they had returned to their usual indifference.

She inhaled a little and apathetically looked toward the two people before her, her thin lips faintly curving into a trace of nonchalance. She gently lifted her hand to pat Mia's shoulder lightly. Without so much as another look at the couple, she closed the umbrella and lowered herself into the car. From the start till the end, she did not say a word to Ethan and Victoria.

"Arya, how are you? Are you okay?!"

At this moment, Mia started to feel her eyes burning up as she turned to look at Arya who had already gotten into the car. When she saw that she was already leaning back with her head leaning to one side, her heart ached. She could not help but cover half her face with her hand. Her furious gaze passed through the flickering bright colors toward Ethan and Victoria...