Chapter 45: Inviting Robert Johnson

As they walked through the corridor and arrived at Robert's study room, they looked inside and saw Robert writing freely away. There were already several completed calligraphy couplets on the floor.

"You're back!" Robert put his brush down and looked towards the door.

Arya let go of Xavier's hand and went over. She glanced at the couplets on the floor and smiled,

"Grandpa, your calligraphy is looking great. They look very energetic."

"I practiced a little... Just killing some time."

Robert's skinny figure walked past the table and went towards them.

"Grandpa," Xavier greeted politely and Robert nodded.

"I thought the both of you were going to just let me and your mother pass New Year's Eve alone. I'm glad to know that you have some conscience in you!" Robert seemed glad when he saw the matching couple before him. He stared at Arya.

Before Arya could reply, Xavier replied,

"Grandpa, she's always missing you and Mother everywhere she goes. She's your favourite granddaughter after all. You're more important to her than anyone else, including me."

Arya was stunned and she stared at him in shock. Not only were his words sweet, but he had also quickly conquered her grandpa, Robert!

As expected, Robert laughed happily when he heard Xavier's words and he nodded.

"That's right. There's no way you could top me! I've been taking care of her for almost the past twenty years. It's not something to be forgotten easily. Of course, I'm more important! Let's go, Xavier, we'll have a match of Go. I didn't play enough the last time!"

Before the young couple could react, he walked outside the study room with his cane and continued,

"Arya, the Pu'er tea your mother brought back this time was pretty fragrant. Take some back and try it with Xavier. Aunt, Aunt! Get me that jade Go set. I'm playing a match with Xavier. Aunt, where are you? Uncle! Uncle!"

Towards the end, he started yelling instead. Arya just shrugged as she looked at Xavier beside her.

After a moment, Uncle got the jade Go set out. Robert sat down and started setting it up. Soon, he already started his first move using a white piece without asking Xavier.

"It's your turn. Let me test you out."

Xavier sat down casually opposite him and picked up a black piece to put on the Go board. Arya was boiling some water to prepare tea for them as she observed the match.

Robert was an expert in Go himself. Arya had learned from him, and she soon got better and he was unable to defeat her anymore.

Arianna used to think about raising Arya into a little princess that was fluent at multiple musical and artistic talents, yet Robert disagreed. Arya was not really fond of those things as well. The only thing she was somewhat interested in was Go. As for musical instruments, she did not really know anything else aside from a little bit of violin. Literature-wise, she barely received a passing grade, but at least, she read comics...

At one point, Robert felt troubled. Back then, her mother Arianna and Father Benjamin were the two top students of the school. They always held onto the first and second place in the whole school. Although both of them were at the pinnacle with both their grades and appearance, this girl did not seem to inherit anything from her parents except her mother's beauty.

Did things move back when they reached an extreme?

After some time, Arya was done boiling the tea and the war started. The two generals were fighting ferociously.