Chapter 42: Returning Late

Her eyes twinkled like the stars, and she shrugged. "I'm just curious."

"Do you think that your Mr. Knight is the kind of person who goes to such places?" Xavier looked at her thoughtfully.

"Then, why did you say that you've seen Victoria in a nightclub in New York?" She lifted a hand to gather her messy hair as she asked disapprovingly.

"I just said that I seemed to have. It's been so long. How would I remember whether I've been there or if I've seen her?"

"How despicable!"

As she listened to him, Arya's beautiful face could not help but flash with a faint ripple, yet her eyes filled with a warm light. She looked down at his large hand that cupped the back of her hand.

"You didn't hurt your shoulder injury, did you?" Xavier did not bicker with her further. He just asked her softly as he leaned towards her, yet she just turned her head away and looked out the window. She answered plainly,

"It's fine!"

He laughed and without saying anything anymore, he just sped up.

The car sped all the way to Grand Waves Villa area as Arya stared out of the car window. The sky was also gradually turning dark outside. When they drove past the supermarket near the Grand Waves Villa area, Xavier finally stopped the car. She figured that she had to make a trip to the supermarket too.

There were many people in the supermarket since everyone was preparing to purchase New Year goods. All the hampers and gifts on display filled one's eyes with glitter. They had just walked through the supermarket entrance when piles of festive items greeted their sight.

Xavier frowned slightly as he watched Arya get the trolley. He fell silent for a moment before walking over.

Arya watched as he took the trolley over from her, his handsome brows furrowing. Then, he turned to look at her, his gaze as clear as autumn water. She could not help but ask,

"For someone as prestigious as you, is it your first time in the supermarket?"

Nevertheless, Xavier gazed at her as if he wondered if she was a moron.

"Did you think that all the yummy food you ate at home before this had flown into the refrigerator by themselves?"

"Mr. Knight, I notice that you have a bad habit — you keep attacking me with your speech and your tone is very unfriendly like a military instructor treating his troops. In fact, don't think that I don't know. Those ingredients were all bought by either James or Rick..." Arya smiled as she glanced at him.

His long arms circled and then held her by the shoulders. He pushed the trolley with one hand and smiled, not bothering to defend himself.

"If I really were a military instructor, I would've removed you by now. With your attitude, I'd give you 50 points at the most for your total assessment score."

"Why don't you just give me 60? In fact, don't you know that giving 59 points is even more savage than giving 50?" Arya raised her brows and looked puzzledly at him.

"Because 59 points will make you guys remember more. Did you think that this score was simply given out?"

...

A while after, Arya had already tossed a bunch of things into her trolley, but Mr. Knight had put a lot of things back from behind her. The reasoning was simple: no taking junk food that allayed one's hunger!

No wonder this woman was so skinny.

Now that he thought about it, if a person lived alone, they would usually be more carefree, especially the working class. When they were usually hungry for a meal, they would eat the next meal. Sometimes if they were too tired when they reached home after work, they would lie on the bed and wake up to the start of a new day.