Chapter 49: New Year Gathering

When Victoria said this, quite a few girls could not help but look envious.

"Victoria, you're so lucky! CEO Ethan is so sweet to you!"

"Exactly! Not only is she outstandingly beautiful and is the Mayor's daughter, but she's also a celebrity loved by so many... Victoria, we really admire you!"

"Thank you, guys. You'll find your own happiness too."

As she listened to the crowd's envious admirations, Victoria's sweet and charming face revealed a faint smile too. Her eyes were filled with sincerity and well wishes while she vaguely stole a glance at Arya.

Such a heartfelt wish instantly made everyone beam and all of them thanked her.

"Pretentious!" Mia scoffed as she subconsciously shot Aaron a look beside her. He indicated his innocence and shrugged.

Mia suddenly got up and walked over to grab the microphone on the table. She really did not want to hear this woman speak anymore. Increasing the music volume, she started to wail like q banshee and howl like a wolf into the microphone.

One could tell that Mia was clearly targetting Victoria. They could not help but frown as they looked at Mia. In fact, they also noticed that Thomas looked a little down after being rejected by Arya.

While Victoria kept her bitter smile pasted on her face, she seemed quite pitiful. Sun Mei could not bear to watch, so she walked over to pat Victoria on the shoulder to console her. Then, she turned the music volume down a little and said something to Mia who then tossed the microphone onto the table with a darkened expression. She picked up the bottle on the table and downed it furiously.

Aaron wanted to stop her, yet her stern look pushed him away.

Arya could only helplessly try to stop whatever Mia was doing. She simply knew she was bad-tempered.

"That's enough, Mia. Don't be angry with all these irrelevant people. I'm fine."

"I just can't stand her face! I really want to go up and rip it off. Her smile is so fake. Are they all blind? Look at the bitchy way she's flaunting her happiness. Ethan this, Ethan that. She's clearly trying to provoke you, you silly girl. Can't you see? She's egging you on!"

The entire room's atmosphere turned a little weird. Arya chuckled softly and did not say anything, yet a light shifted in her eyes.

Now that she was not rushing to leave, she watched Victoria with interest who was playing the victim. She casually held up her drink and drank it sip by sip...

Compared to the weird ambiance on Arya's end, Xavier's side was extremely chilled out.

Inside Daniel's private villa, the buddies were playing cards at the table: four men and one woman. Apart from the three buddies and Daniel's friends, Jacob had also brought over a female companion.

"Xavier, why didn't you bring your wife over? Going out this late at night... Wouldn't you get the blame?" Jacob looked at his cards, and then at the calm Xavier. He could not help but tease him.

"She has her own plans. It's already 10 p.m. I'm done after this round," said Xavier plainly, not even looking at him, then he put his cards down.

"I'll follow!"

As the next player, Daniel played his hand. He smiled and said,

"Are you worried that the sis-in-law will check up on you? We've always played till 11 p.m., so what are you rushing for? Look at the way you're behaving. It seems like someone's used to pampering."

"You can't pamper women too much, Xavier. You have to be careful. Otherwise, you're the one who'll suffer in the future. She'll control you no matter where you go. Being checked up on in the middle of the night is common too, just like the queen in my house. It can definitely drive you crazy!" Jacob seemed to remind him based on his personal experience.