Chapter 43: Maple Residence Gathering

When he said this, Jacob was startled. Then, he remembered that Xavier seemed to be just like that. With a mild-tempered life coupled with his personality, whether or not he got married did not seem to make any difference.

"Do you know all about Arya's past? I have never heard of you interacting with her. It's no wonder when I asked James, he just mumbled and didn't explain properly. It's fine if you want to marry a woman, but you must know her background well. Do you want me to help you investigate? The elder of your family and the rest might not know about her past either. Otherwise..."

"That's enough..." Xavier suddenly interrupted him. He lifted his still eyes and looked at Jacob and Daniels who stood side by side. His eyes were peaceful and distant.

"I have now set my heart on her and married her. Everything started anew from the moment we signed those marriage papers. I don't want to know about everything in the past anymore."

He then averted his gaze and silently turned around. Moments later, he added,

"She didn't ask about my past either, so what's so bad about it?"

When Xavier said this, the two of them were stunned.

They saw that he had already continued attending to his cooking. Exchanging a look, Jacob and Daniels's eyes could not help but force a smile.

This was their first time seeing Xavier being so protective over a person. In fact, it was a woman, and one who did not look that outstanding.

However, they seemed to vaguely feel that Arya carried an aura similar to that of Xavier's. Her gaze was distant and she had a stubborn coldness. Could it be that they understood each other's burdens?

What kind of girl was Arya?

Seeing that he did not want to continue talking about it, Jacob and Daniels did not ask further. Silently, they thought about it and then nodded before sighing,

"Okay, since that's the case, what else can we say? We trust your choices and we only have well wishes left for you. We hope that this will actually be a good thing for you."

"When are you planning to have the wedding?" Daniels finished cutting the shredded potatoes and handed them to Xavier as he asked.

Xavier's quiet and handsome face eased a little now. "We've been busy, so it won't be too soon, but we'll inform you when the time comes."

...

When Arya picked a few bottles of wine and returned to the living room, she realized that the few of them were still busy in the kitchen. She did not go over to join in the fun. Instead, she just looked at the bouquet of roses that Xavier had given her before picking up the scissors and vase...

Her movements were swift. Soon, the blooming bouquet of red roses was trimmed and arranged in the vase. She was just about to clean up the fallen branches and leaves when suddenly the man's soft and gentle voice entered her ear.

"Stop being busy now. Tidy up a little and help us prepare the bowls and chopsticks."

Turning to look, she noticed that he had already brought the dishes out of the kitchen while James was also opening a bottle.

"Mmm..."

She stood up and very quickly swept the branches and leaves into the bin beside her. After she straightened the vase, she then walked over.

When she reached his side, she asked softly and subconsciously looked at the kitchen,

"Can we eat already? I saw that you guys were chatting pretty happily, so I didn't want to disturb you. However, I'm quite surprised that the two of them also would know how to..."