Chapter 28: Promise

Arya stood there as she watched the cars move further and further away before they eventually disappeared in the dark. She did not move and just stared into the empty darkness mindlessly, suddenly feeling a sense of sorrow within her.

After some time, there was a humid chill in the air. Lifting her head, she noticed the dark sky starting to drizzle. The lights from the street lamps started to look blurry.

"Let's get back. If you miss them, you can visit them anytime." Xavier's voice reached her ears as he stood up straight with a hand in his pocket and the other on her shoulder. When she turned to him, his eyes were focused on the dim yellow street lights amidst the rain.

She nodded and then said, "I suddenly realized Grandpa has really grown old. Even Mother... She would've never told me those things, yet now..."

The chilly breeze was freezing. His arm over her shoulder tensed slightly as he asked, "What did she tell you?"

"She said she just wants me to be happy," Arya replied. Going along with Xavier force of direction, she turned around and the married couple went back into the house. The dim and blurry lights from the street lamp made their shadows extremely long.

"Xavier?" She called out to him when he did not say anything.

"Hmm?"

"Do you think we will?"

She halted in her steps, her clear eyes staring at the brightly-lit Maple Residence. Her tone sounded light.

Xavier looked at her before averting his eyes following the direction of her gaze. He gave it some thought before nodding.

"We will."

"How are you so sure? We were just strangers a month ago," she said.

"The amazing part of a marriage is that it can make two totally unrelated people become the most intimate pair ever. That's fate, my wife," he said with a smile, then he continued walking with her back into the house.

...

After staying together for a number of days, Arya realized that Xavier was a valuable house husband. He usually came back from work rather early, and since he was a disciplined person, he would finish all his work on that day before going to sleep no matter how tired he was. She often found him staying up late.

Arya stayed in Maple Residence all the while and did not take a step outside. She used Xavier study room and she did not let herself relax as she prepared for the South River project so that she could get right to work after the New Year.

Emma had gone over to prepare meals for Arya the past few days. Xavier did not go home in the afternoon, thinking that she would be too lazy to cook for just herself, so he asked Emma to take care of her.

That night, after they had dinner, Xavier went upstairs as usual while Arya took care of the dishes. After cleaning up, she had a luxurious bath and afterwards, she got a call from Mia.

"Hey, Arya, don't forget tomorrow. Come over earlier with that guy in your home, okay?"

Mia had been burning with curiosity for several days and the weekend had finally arrived. She was extremely curious to see what kind of person would Arya have suddenly married.

Arya used a large towel to dry off her long, wet hair as she replied,

"Mmm, I'll go and get you guys in the afternoon. We'll go straight to Imperial Sky Entertainment City. I'm not sure if he's free in the afternoon. I'll ask him later, but he arranged dinner for us at the Imperial Sky Hotel. He'll definitely be coming for dinner."