Chapter 53: Mr. Knight's Call

Arya put her phone away as she looked mockingly at Layla who was trying hard to hold her anger back. With a cold smile, she said,

"It seems like you guys really did all these on your own."

"Tell me. How much money do you want?"

Layla thought about it for a moment, then forced all the fury down in her chest and looked up at Arianna.

"How much will it take for you to hand the shares over? $20 million? $50 million?"

"If you really want it, I might consider $10 billion." Arya raised her beautiful brows as she smiled and looked nonchalantly at Layla.

"Arya, don't be too much!"

When she heard this and saw the smirk on Arya's face, Layla, who was enduring all of this, finally exploded. She swiftly got up with her hands pressing the table firmly.

"Since you can't pay up, then don't speak to me with this attitude. What you want isn't with my mother anymore. If I see you people causing trouble again the next time, I won't be as kind as I am today. I'll just call my father. It's that simple."

As Arya said this, she picked up Arianna's handbag and handed it to her, indicating for her to get up and leave.

"Are you threatening me?" Layla demanded with wide eyes.

Arya did not hide it either. She nodded and smiled calmly.

"That's right. I am threatening you."

"Arya, you... You don't have the right to speak to me like this! You will hand the shares over obediently, or you..."

"I'll wait to see how you're going to make me hand the shares over obediently." She played it down with this sentence, and then her sullen gaze swept past Layla before she turned to walk towards the door. Arianna shot Layla a cold look too before she followed her out.

On the way back to Maple Residence in the car, Arya did not say anything, while Arianna who sat in the front passenger's seat remained calm. Her expression was a blank canvas; no one could tell how she currently felt.

...

It was not sure how long had passed when the silent Arya finally spoke up,

"I don't know what happened between you, Father, and Layla. Nevertheless, I respect you, so if you won't tell me, I won't interfere, but I know that in some situations, backing off and matchmaking someone else isn't the best way to end a war."

She suddenly turned to look at Arianna.

"Mother, I can feel that Father still..."

"Enough, Arya. Don't mull over these things anymore. Your father and I have a complicated problem. There's no point in bringing up all these from the past. You work on your own things. I'm fine, so you don't need to worry. Layla said that you stabbed a knife into your shoulder? What happened?"

Arianna's cold eyes suddenly turned a little sharp as she subconsciously looked towards Arya shoulder.

Arya looked at the alternately flickering traffic light ahead indifferently. Soon, she parked the car, the long eyelashes covering the darkness emanating from her eyes. She fell silent for a long while, and in the end, she did not answer. When the traffic light ahead turned green, she continued to speed all the way to Maple Residence.

When they reached Maple Residence, it was already past six in the evening. Bella had already prepared the food while David and Robert were in the living room, drinking tea and playing chess. All of a sudden, Maple Residence seemed pretty lively.