Chapter 5: Too Drunk to Drink

The car sped all the way. Arya first brought the documents back to the company. By the time she came out, it was already after working hours, and the sky had already turned dark outside.

Downstairs, her assistant Reena bade her goodbye.

"Director Johns, I'll go home first. Drive safely!"

Arya looked up at the still night sky. She thought about it, then said,

"Get in my car. It's on the way. I'll give you a ride."

"There's no need, Director Johns. There's still the town bus at this time anyway! It's too troublesome. I don't want to trouble you." Reena smiled in gratitude.

"The town bus should be quite crowded at this hour. Coincidentally, I want to go to the tea shop near your place for some tea leaves," Arya calmly said before taking out the car keys from her pocket and marching over to the driver's seat. She pulled the car door open and very quickly hopped in.

Reena hesitated for a moment before she leaped into the front passenger seat. She put on her seatbelt and thanked her with a broad grin.

"Thank you, Director Johns!"

Arya nodded slightly before she casually put a CD into the player before starting the car. Then, they were on their way.

The songs that blasted out of the speakers was the perfect music for speeding. Reena thought the music was familiar, yet she could not put her finger on their titles. She turned to look at Arya, noticing that she was leaning her head in one hand while she draped the arm on the car window. The other hand gripped the steering wheel steadily as her weary eyes stared ahead. A cool breeze continued to pour in from the car window, riling up her beautiful hair...

She somehow felt a faint air of repression and desolation.

Reena hesitated but she still could not help herself.

"Director Johns, have you been worn out recently? You seem very tired..."

When she heard this, Arya was startled for a moment. Her calm eyes rested on Reena. "I'm fine."

"Director Johns, the colleagues in the office have actually been secretly talking about you..."

Reena suddenly wanted to find a topic to chat about with the girl beside her. Even though Director Johns usually looked very distant, she understood that Director Johns was actually a very approachable and very kind person. She was very caring and considerate towards her subordinates.

When her father had fallen sick and was hospitalized, the expensive medical costs had overwhelmed her. After Director Johns found out, she had immediately handed her $50,000 to help her resolve the emergency, and she had been immensely grateful towards Director Johns.

She even heard that she frequently looked after the orphanage in the north of the city. She offered that orphanage a lot of help.

"What do they say?" Arya asked plainly, well aware that the employees of every company would have some internal gossip, which was usually about the upper management, so she expected it.

"They say that you're talented and good-looking, yet you're very mysterious. They wonder whether you're single or not. A lot of the male colleagues in the company want to court you, Director Johns, but they don't dare to... However, I think that the person that gets to marry you'll definitely be extraordinary. They'd also be very lucky..."

She felt that Arya was in a rather mild mood, so Reena felt comfortable saying these things.

"Lucky?"

Arya muttered softly, then she laughed coldly. Self-mockery flashed across her eyes, then her gaze dimmed again.

When she noticed that Arya had suddenly fallen silent, Reena suddenly did not dare to say anything further and the car instantly fell into a silence again.